Man-caused Disasters

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by In_my_day, Mar 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Director of Homeland Security Napolitano in an interview with Der Spiegel and reported on CNN today.

"SPIEGEL: Ms. Secretary, in your first testimony to the US Congress as Homeland Security Secretary you never mentioned the word "terrorism." Does Islamist terrorism suddenly no longer pose a threat to your country?

Napolitano: Of course it does. I presume there is always a threat from terrorism. In my speech, although I did not use the word "terrorism," I referred to "man-caused disasters". That is perhaps only a nuance, but it demonstrates that we want to move away from the politics of fear toward a policy of being prepared for all risks that can occur"

I, respectfully, don't agree that this is a "nuance", to me it puts a completely different perspective on terrorism. My initial reaction when I heard it was that this was a PC statement gone wild but the full answer does put it in a different context. However, is this going to make any difference in the real world, I think not because there is no difference between identifying a terrorist threat and preparing to counter it and countering a man-caused disaster threat, or am I missing something? Is it, perhaps, a public attempt to move the USA away from the Gitmo, rendition and black prison Bush era by reducing the Administration's aggressive stance and the (perceived) public fears? It will be interesting to see if any other senior figures use this term.

2. Should upset the Female suicide bombers anyway.
  3. If you have been following the news lately the new administration is all about repairing old friendships, reason why Hillary has been clocking up the air miles, and reassuring even old enemies (North Korea) that just because it's not "Bush" doesn't mean they are going to get's all about redoing their "foreign relationships" or a new era in foreign diplomacy.....I think Obama will get more from sugar then Bush did with vinegar.... :wink:

Remember these 3 little words and what they meant to those that got labeled...

"Axis of Evil" (whether they are or not, the middle east understood that to mean the Crusades were back on...) :D