Malta--Inthe days when----

Discussion in 'History' started by Putzifly, Jul 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The milking goats and the nubile daughters were locked up at the end of the First Dog---
    The Libertymen, after months at sea. swarmed ashore from The Home Fleet, Mediterranean Fleet and the US 6th Fleet---
    What a Run Ashore that was.
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Milking goats?

Is there a dit from a pervious run ashore that you want to bleat out.
  3. You have not been around sufficiently-----clearly!
    In Malta, as in many Mediterranean islands, nanny goats were walked from door to door and milked to the purchasers' request at the doorstep.
    You obviously haven't tried it, but goats' milk is rich in brain enhancing minerals and low in cholesterol.
    Try it and see if it helps.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Is that why every girlfriend I've had somehow becomes a genius and you auld codgers turn into bleating cretins.

You learn something new every day.
  5. Malta was always a good run ashore.
    The Gut was good for a laugh except when that massive copper "Tiny" was on duty at the bottom of the steps, didn't like matelots that one:(
  6. The Maltese were always welcoming-- as they are to this day. Many of their fathers and grandfathers served the RN as locally enlisted personnel for many years--and bloody good they were too. Many died in WW2 and, I think I recall, a Maltese name in the RN Falkland dead.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brits'n'Septics fill a pub darn the gut circa 1950-60'ish.

8. First time I've seen that photograph. Really hits the nail on the head. A remarkable thing is that when they turned to the following forenoon, they just got on with it. Excellent. Thanks
  9. I did have one bad experience courtesy of the Gut and Marsovin.

Decided, one night, to stay on the marsypops and not dilute it with 7up. I threw up in the mess square the next morning and my offering ate through all the polish and wrote off a large section of the mess square.

Killick of the mess not a happy bunny and I spent the rest of the day scraping up the rest of the polish and laying many coats of ME7 to get all back to normal.

As a 17 year old, it was a wake up call that maybe the 3 badge men in the mess may know more than me when it came to pissing up and local brews (they told me it would end in tears at the start of the evening, I said they were too old to keep up with us young thrusters :( )
  10. It's when it started dissolving the Corticene you knew it was time to get your name down for one of Aggie Weston's Temperance Groups and to the Sick bay. Will there ever be such happy times again?