Malta 2008 Pictures

Discussion in 'History' started by Nutty, Mar 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having failed to master putting an album of pictures in RR here are a selected few pics taken in Malta last week of places known to Jolly Jack.

The Gut, now an empty shell

[​IMG]

Bar signs still visible'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OD's run ashore down the Gut

[​IMG]

Perhaps the OD's are on this rust bucket not like the Med Fleet of the 30's and 50's

[​IMG]

St. Angelo

[​IMG]

Whitehall Mansions now the British High Commision. Jennies did OK for accomodation in them days,

[​IMG]

Plaques of two bases.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stir any old memories.

Nutty

2. Thanks Nutty,

Sort of brings a lump to the throat, remembering all the runs down the Gut.
    My old man, 87 years old now and a little frail, tells some stories of that home from home when he was based there as a Reggie in the 50s. I may just print off these to show him what it's like now.

My OH won't do Malta again, so I'll not get the chance to see the place, but then memories are best kept in the mind's eye, aren't they?

3. Nice, (if not a bit sad) phots nutty. This might a bit geeky but what camera were you using

4. Brilliant i enjoyed that. Memories.

5. Nutty, most of the matelots I know - at least those who went there remember the Gut when it as dark (if at all) - at least when the sun had gone down over the yard-arm, Marsivin at 50p per bottle, dollys at what you could afford, - might have made more nostalgic phots ... ? . Buthen ou were on a cultural tour by the looks of it, looks like you and the missus had a good time - bravo.

grosses bisus ..........

6. Sorry about the couple of typow errors .......... R

7. Cheers Nutty brings back memories of Malta in the 50's and 60's. where is the sub. plack Manoel Island bridge on the Lasareto creek side, subs when I was there were in Msida creek. regards Neppy

8. Do you have any more of the lazaretto?

9. The Silver Horse, aka The Galvanised Donkey ah, memories !! Marsovin and coke 2/6 old money in my time. On £16 a fortnight, run ashore every night, egg banjo at Customs House Steps - OMG, I'm getting nostalgic. Cheers Nutty.

10. I'm glad Roy got to visit nice places too. I had visions of you leaving him on a dinghy in the harbour with the rudder at 45 degrees for a fortnight. :biggrin:

11. Dog Watches:

Nothing special just a Fuji FinePix S5500

Richie:

No cultural visit just cheap flights from Valencia to Malta, €15 that's euros out and €5 back and half the tax UK airports charge. Hop Leak on draft is an excellent beer, Marsivin has much improved, spirits are v.v. expensive by Spanish standards.

Spearfish:

I am not certain if this is the right place but the boat guide seem to think it was, tree pics of Manoel Island follow is was a originally built as a hospital.

Jacquie La Douste finds his lost Lister. The Museum state they brought it from a Matelot called Isadirty and showed us the paperwork.

[​IMG]

Same Gary horse that pulled you back to your ship.

[​IMG]

Three from Manoel Island

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nutty

12. Re the Lister - can I plead the 5th Amendment ?

13. YES, you GUILTY PLEADER

Nutty

14. What a wonderful week for nostalgia.

Whitehall W/T, the Ganges mast and now this.

BZ Nutty.

Jerry

15. Garry Horse steaks,Marsavin,lovely ladies.
    We went to Golden Bay for a run ashore and took half the boats beer ration with us.
    Great days and lovely memories.
    Thanks for the pics Nutty.

16. Who's the good looking bloke on the Lister?

17. Some ex Jack Dusty "V" called "Ivor A. Littledick"

Nutty

18. A bigBZ Nutty. Draft chits ashore in the '50's and 60's for me. From the top floor of 'A' block in Lintorn Barracks in Floriana, using powerful bino's, one could see right into Whitehall Mansions.

19. Just to add... as this is the history forum, Carved into the Sandstone walls on the flat roof of Lintorn Barracks were the Regimental crests/cap badges of various regiments who had occupied the place over many years. I wonder if they have worn away with age? Also does anyone remember the ship's crests painted on the walls of the Simon's Town Dry dock that had used that facility? and are they still there?

20. That looks the right place Nutty.Is it accessible to the public.I have a picture in a book somewhere of some officers relaxing under those arches.