Making Waves DVD

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by linemanloz, Mar 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have one of the 2,500 copies of this? Are they willing to part with it for a fee? :)

If anyone does or knows someone that is willing to get rid of it could they please drop me a line.

2. Someone has to admit to owning a copy

3. :lol: :thumright:

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Linemanloz: I'm sure if you drop a PM/email to 'Asst_Ed' he might be able to find a copy in his office. Hidden under a desk. In a box marked "Competition Losers"... :wink:

(And yes, I did buy a copy... to watch during a Duty Weekend at the Provost HQ, which is next door to the 'Navy News' office!) 8O

5. Please please please think again before parting with cash to get the DVD.

There are so many better things you could do. some of them might even be enjoyable.

6. But to be fair they only did 2,500 copies and gave all of them to Navy News, surly it would of sold better if they had given it to Amazon.

7. Y??????????? Y`Y?????

8. yes I'm afraid I do have the full set , and Ive watched it more than once ! if its not protected I'll try and copy the set this week for you
    dave

9. we used to watch it in the mess all the time. just for the laugh. wish they hadnt canned it. was a good comedy.

10. I am indeed a lucky owner of said DVD
    Bought a copy after a few sherberts at IFOS a few years ago.
    There's a feisty Welshbird in it... takes me back!!!

11. sgtpepperband

Is it wrong to admit that I was in an episode..?! :oops: 8O

12. Which part SPB... I will immediately go watch it
    :thanks:

13. sgtpepperband

WB: Give you a clue; I was typecast (no method acting required!). And no, I wasn't the gay LWREN Reg on board HMS Suffolk... :roll: :wink:

14. sgtpepperband

15. sgtpepperband

16. LOL... that was going to be my first guess!!! Will watch it later and let you know if I spot you

definitely going to join the group on facebook - thanks for that ;-)

17. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDJ59FYivo

18. No copies left at NN. They all sold out years ago. We don't even have a reference copy (doh!).

The last copy I saw on Ebay went for £40. :eek:mg: We were selling em for a tenner. I could've made a killing...

19. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Interesting that the wiki entry mentions the Naval Advisors. I visited one of them prior to filming and pleaded with him to ensure the TV company 'keep it real' and don't attempt to make it another Robson and Jeromefest, which made a laughing stock out of the army. For any Naval Drama to exist, it has to be set in absolute credibility, with the sarcasm, gallows humour and gutter vernacular that the sailor uses in full effect. This was shoved on after the watershed, and to be honest, the dialogue was Grange-Hill-like in it's structure, the storylines just as tedious and tenuous and the whole series glossed with cliche. It's a shame, because the Navy missed a golden opportunity to portray itself as a flesh-and-blood entity, much the same as Sailor had done and to a much lesser extent, HMS Brilliant had attempted. I thought Making Waves was woeful, and by the third episode I was unsurprised ITV shitcanned it. None of the settings were authentic and most of the characters paper thin. It will be a long time (if ever) we see another series about the Mob.

Levers