Making the right decision...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JoDa, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey

I started my application back in January 2009 but am still waiting to pass my medical. Last July I went for my medical but the doctor wanted me to come back after the Christmas period as I suffer (a bit inaccurate terminology really) from psoriasis on my knuckles. It has never caused me any pain nor has it had any impact on my lifestyle, work etc but the Dr wanted to see how bad it was after the winter months.

I went for the 2nd medical last week and the doctor was unsure what to do with me. He could see that it isnt very bad and could tell how much I wanted to join. The Dr said that he would tick the boxes but then changed his mind and said he wanted to make the right decision. He doesnt want to say I am fine and then get turned away in the medical in basic training, which I completely understand as I would not like that to happen.

After a year of application though Im beginning to lose my enthusiasm as its likely to be another 3 months before the Dr will have confirmation on what to do with me.

Just a bit of background and venting there but what I would like to know is how often are people sent home from basic training by failing their medical?
  2. If your doctor can't make his mind up, why not seek a second opinion from another doctor?

What do you have to lose by going to basic? If you get thinned out during your Raleigh medical you'll be no worse off.
  3. I guess I am concerned that if they decide to not pass me in the medical at basic then I will be stuck without a job with bills to pay with great disappointment about not getting in.

I will look into getting a second opinion should they say no to this 3rd medical! Thanks mate.
  4. Dont really know about people getting sent home from Raleigh but good luck! hope it all turns out well :)
  5. It all boils down to whether or not you want to spend the rest of your life thinking "What if?" Or not.

Good luck.
  6. Cheers mate. No matter if it takes a long(er) time and my enthusiasm is drained, it is still what I want to do.

Just like to be prepared with facts and figures to manage my expectations. :)