Major Review Seeks Views On Campaign Medals

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, May 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting. Difficult to see exactly what they are getting at though??

2. The way I read it the current system is not ideal and lacks flexibility so a review is underway to see what if anything needs to be changed to make it more user friendly.

3. I agree, I was just wondering what had triggeered it. Is the Govt looking for a way to get around the Russian Convoys medal problem and win some popularity? Is it thinking that it could dish out a few more medals to boost Forces' morale? Does it think that minting all these medals is costing too much and wants to make the system stricter? The interesting thing, as I see it though, is that by lacking flexibility at least the current system is consistent. I think I would recommend them to relax the rules on wearing medals issued by NATO and other countries a bit - I might email them and let them know.

4. I'm looking forward to receiving my Cod war, Beira Patrol and Cold war medals shortly.
    Maybe they might even give me a Silver Jubilee one to go with the other two I have which some of us didn't get.

Not that I'm particularly bothered if I don't get them ;0)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Think the present system is about right. There are several "campaigns" like the Rhodesia episode, the Cod wars, and the Aden withdrawal where medals could have been issued, but wern't. ( 30 days on station for the Aden one). Be honest though issuing medals for such things as spending Christmas at sea on Beira patrol, throwing out a few fenders and dousing theThors upper decks with water, doesn't merit a campaign medal.
    we'll soon be like our friends and issue medals for completing the arduous pre Raleigh waiting game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. "But the review is equally concerned with future policy,"

Surely the whole point of defence policy is NOT to have to issue campaign medals?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I await with interest my receipt of my medal for Services to Defence Diplomacy with HM on one side and a relief of an Alka-Seltzer on the other. The ribbon to be like rather the old NGSM, plain background to represent gin and a wavy line down the middle to represent Angostura Bitters.

8. Can I, and the rest of the crew of Mermaid get one for 'nam, ?.

9. I wear my cold war one with pride but you can't see it because I was never there.

10. Deleted .....bl****y tiscali !!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  11. "...One of the aspects Sir John will look at is the ‘five years’ rule’ – a long-standing policy that no new medal can be introduced for events that happened more than five years ago, nor can an individual act be recognised more than five years later.>>>"
    Any vets on here recall the campaign for the PJM - offered by the King and People of Malaysia to all those who served during the Indo Confrontation ?
    Australia and New Zealand accepted it on behalf of there Vets (and they have HMQ as Head of State) but the serpents at the "Honours Office" refused the offer for a lot of years (despite it being in the London Gazette as authorised by HMQ herself) , often quoting this obscure rule - and oddly enough, a certain Admiral Retd, somehow got himself awarded a decoration for Antigua 25 years after the occurrence.
    Having worked in a Government building, and seen the goings on there, I have no confidence, nor trust, in anything being done by the pollies, unless it is , of course, honours and decorations for their own kind.
    I think it was finally approved for wear (PJM) after a concerted campaign by members of the Fight4the pjm website.
    This is similar to the campaigns for the Arctic Star, the memorial to Bomber Command, and the fairly recent memorial to the Police Officers who died on duty - all these are fairly inexpensive compared to the honours placed on pollies (the Prince of Darkness & the Ships Steward to name but a couple), sports "celebs", and entertainers ...... Moi ?, upset? .... perish the thought !! :)

12. So that's a Cold War/ NASP medal out of the window then although i do believe there is a medal WaltWebsite that caters for those needs (and I got the gist of it the first time WM)

13. I'd like to say it was a 'senior moment' - but I think tiscali is none to operative these days .... :( ..... :p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  14. Look on the bright side ... not much longer and Blair(+the witch) and Fat Gord can kiss goodbye to a knighthood for totally f*cking up the country!

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

179097_10151153882846209_1848475648_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1

16. Ahhhhhh - THAT's what is clanking off my PeeDoo!

17. RG
    All those that attended the spit head review were originally going to get the Jubilee but some dick/politician decided to award them to Civil servants and politicians so in the end one office, SR and JR per ship were given one, total bollocks.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Before my time (slightly), but I remember reading somewhere that 'HM The Boss' paid for the 25th Jumbilee gong herself, hence the more logical scarcity. Not sure whether that's true, but it appears feasible.

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I and a few hundred other Jacks and Royals missed out on some NATO gongs during the yugoslavia shindig. We were doing the job before it was officially recognised. I remember Dubrovnic getting shelled as we went past and having to deal with attack craft getting the hump and wanting to sink us, ******* ruined my sun bathing.