Main differences between the Subs and the surface fleet?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by StefanSH, Sep 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Submarines

50.0%
  2. Surface fleet

50.0%
  1. Hello, I'm 16 and im just about to join the navy as a weapons engineer (not submariner). I have an induction about the submarines on the same day as my medical, and I'm giving it a lot of thought. As well as the pay, what big differences are their between the subs and the surface?
    Like, how would i be able to keep fit on a sub? Do they have some sort of gym on board?
    Would i be able to travel as much as the surface fleet and see the world it the same sort of way?
    Am I at sea for a longer or shorter than the surface?
    What activities/facilities are there on a sub?

Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm sure there are many that can answer your queries ahead of the presentation, but at the same time, that's the point of the presentation - To give an accurate, up to date insight about the submarine service. It isn't an induction, it's an insight.

Best bet? Don't make a judgement call until you get to speak with the Submarine Recruiting Team.

• Work on a six hour on six hour off rotation whilst deployed (Different for aft ME's)
    • As a qualified submariner you will have to have an overall better whole ship understanding which comes with your BSQ qualification.
    • Submarine deployments tend to be longer on average (apart from bombers)
    • You will have a lot more responsibility at a more junior level on a submarine
    • When you go to a foreign port you will be put up in 4-6* hotels as you cannot be accommodated on board unlike surface fleet
    • Extra subsistence bonus when alongside at a foreign port (Avg. £20 a day)
    Differs per boat but expect to see various free weights/small bar and a bench. Cycle machine and a rowing machine as an average.

More than likely longer with an average of 6 months with scope to fly home for a short while during a deployment.

Differs per boat but expect to see an Xbox/Playstation two TV's with a hard drive for playing films/music videos which you can transfer to an iPad or similar if you wish.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

You may be just about to join the navy to train to eventually become an Engineering Technician (WE) but it's a stretch to claim that you are joining as a (fully formed) weapons engineer. I blame the Navy's adverts: "you'll be a Royal Navy engineer". No you won't. You'd be joining as a Warrant Officer or Officer if that was the case.

4. Ah Seadog don't piss on his parade, there he is thinking that he will be an instant engineer when it will take him years to achieve that if he ever does.
    The RNs fault though for devising such impressive sounding titles

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks alot for the information. Ill make an proper decision after the induction presentation.

6. One goes under the water and the other one doesn't
    You're welcome :)

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. 000000000000000000001.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Someone had to do it. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yeah. LOL's eh? Pfft.

10. Frigates and Destroyers now deploy for 9 months.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I'd change that to one goes under the water and comes back up again, the other one goes underwater and stays there ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. One goes to Fujaireh, the other goes somewhere decent in the UAE for a jolly!

• Like Like x 1
  13. One is a visible target the other is very hard to find, so does not play hide and seek with submarines, they do not play fair.
    Whilst at sea on an SM you have no need for aftershave, deodorant’s, talc or any nice smelling stuff just a good old bar of soap is all you need, so you get to save even more money.

14. You lying bstrd, when has a submariner ever used soap, talcum powder in an emergency perhaps;)

15. To clean teeth before going on a trapping run

• Like Like x 1
  16. my penneth in bold