Mail: "Verbal Or Physical Attacks On Armed Forces Personnel 'To Be Hate Crimes'"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Nov 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I disagree that this "post-Woolwich" knee jerk reaction by MPs is necessary. While I am more than familiar with particular cases where service personnel have been attacked, the catalyst for those incidents have often been the fact they are wearing the uniform or have drawn attention to themselves in a public place. Pretty much every anti-social of violent crime covered by the CJA 03 has a basis on 'hate', as demonstrated by the anger displayed by the alleged attacker. But the nature of a "hate crime" was to protect those who cannot hide who they are: homosexuals, the disabled, the elderly, those of ethnic origin, etc. Those "afflictions" (for want of a better word) are with them 24/7 and cannot be taken off like a uniform or hidden behind the barbed wire fence of the barracks.

I have no doubt the amendment to the Act will get some rather vocal support, but there is already plenty of legislation to protect the victim and prosecute the suspects involved in violent crimes. While the murder of Lee Rigby was an extreme but isolated incident, I do not think it is necessary to single out Service personnel for protection against "hate crime" is necessary, as the MOD has already said according to their press statement, mentioned in the aforementioned article.

2. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Similar ideas were floated before the murder of Lee Rigby.

I am sure the proposal is well-meant, but I don't support it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. sgtpepperband

Of course; but I imagine some MPs/areas of the media in support of the Amendment will no doubt try to exploit his death for emotive purposes... :oops: (See photo of Rigby in the DM story as linked in the OP)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shame they didn't do this in the 70's when "skate bashing" was rife in DSC. Most of the pompey natives would have a (longer) criminal record if they had.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What about written verbal assaults?

This forum's bloody full of them. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I thought the idea of hate crimes legislation was to bring in a higher tariff of punishment for crimes directed at particular groups, not to protect those groups, who are, after all, as protected as military personnel by the very same existing laws. I don't agree with hate crimes legislation as I think an attack on one person should not be considered worse than any other but if we're going to have it then I've no problem with military personnel benefitting from it.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its the smoke and mirrors game again, hoping that the great unwashed will think that they are doing something about a particular problem, increased tariffs are only any good if they are used, this isn't normally the case so its a pointless exercise.

8. Do we need a law on this? I remember some years ago when a para was beaten up in Aldershot by a gang of scumbag locals who soon become marked men, duly got serious good hidings, & were forced to leave town never to return.

9. So vigilanteism is the answer?

• Like Like x 1
  10. It's called looking after your own in a them & us situation!

11. Would this law prevent bars/nightclubs from turning you away simply for believing you are forces? I do find it slightly disgusting that you can be on a night out and turned away simply as they believe you are serving. They even check what driving entitlements you have as an indicator. You could not say to a group of black men you can't come in because you are black so why should it be any different because they believe you are serving?
    I don't think this has a direct link to Lee Rigby there have been a few instances of protests at home coming etc etc.

12. Do one dirty bin man. No abuse on here!

13. Hate crime…...I was always under the impression that assault was assault, unless it could be proved that the crime was directed to a specific group/orientation/race? Then it became a hate crime.

14. My issue is they have put the Army followed by the Air Farce and then the Navy. Unless of course they are talking about the yanks?

Bloody journos!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

15. sgtpepperband

16. This has been covered at length here and on Arrse. Long story short: large groups of blokes are often turned away from bars and clubs not just servicemen. Mainly due to varying factors including pack mentality, barrack town friction etc.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I am a little confused as to where the cut-off point would be where a "hate" crime becomes just a simple assault. For instance if a soldier in uniform was attacked by people because he might have been fighting in Afghanistan would that be seen as a more serious scenario than if the same soldier was attacked by the same people going home in civvies.

18. Depends on what civvies he's wearing, an EDL shirt won't go down too well in some areas of Brixton or Bradford.

• Like Like x 1