Mail: "Tory MP Penny Mordaunt Signs Up To Take Part In TV Diving Show Splash"

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by soleil, Jan 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The 40-year-old will appear on Tom Daley’s Saturday night diving competition from next weekend. She plans to donate her fee to help renovate a local lido, and to several Armed Forces charities.

Miss Mordaunt said: ‘I have the elegance and drive of a paving slab, but my navy training has certainly given me the guts to take on the challenge head on."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Idle curisoity:
    1. Is she still RNR?
    2. Judging by her pre-commons career is/was she MOS?

3. Why hadn't Billy posted a photo of her yet?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

She said that she was a reservist on the news tonight
  5. I understand that she is a card carrying royal naval reservist from KA, pretty sure she is an AB, but unaware of which branch/spec.
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Yup she's still RNR, A/Slt Media Ops?

Normally couldn't give a monkeys about ZZ listers doing crappy TV shows but an MP, who's been banging on about making good on promised to Portsmouth "I'm going to champion the dockyard..." and meanwhile she finds the time to self publicise (because let's be honest thats all this is).

Wonder what her constituents have to say in the matter? Surely this falls into the same category as George Galloway going on BB and that other woman doing "I'm A Celebrity"?

Penny Mordaunt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. Because MPs should just work from the moment they wake up till the moment they go to bed at night...?
  8. wave_dodger

Well, for a salary that outstrips mine (I believe) I wonder if I'd get time off to have a crack at Splash! ? I think I know the answer to that, but I'll ask my DO tomorrow on the off chance!

It's a fair question to pose, unless you think otherwise? Do you think it puts MPs in a particularly good or bad light? 900 people loose their jobs, in response their MP pops off to play TV star?

I really don't care, or actually have that much interest.
  9. Eurgh, gross
  10. I don't have a problem with it at all. If she wanted to train for a marathon or something like that nobody would have an issue but because it's reality TV all of a sudden it's a thing. She has said that she is donating all the money to charities and a local lido so isn't this essentially just charity work?

Oh, and if you asked your DO for a week off to go and do some AT i'm sure you'd be allowed...
  11. wave_dodger

I really wouldn't - we're in a world of pain with 60% gapping, weeks of AT are a thing of the past for the majority. They happen in the early part of your career, so if you're there, get them in while you can!
  12. She was voted in to serve her community, not to use the inevitable 'fame' to further her public profile. Is she opted to do that after her term was up then whatever, but its grim. And ****ing hell they must be short of celebrities to take part.
  13. She serves her community very well and they are quite happy with what she is doing. Amazing that people are willing to rip into her when her Splash training and her RNR committment are done in her own time. Stop slagging her off and go and something for your community!
  14. I misread 'lido' there.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. wave_dodger

Not all of them obviously...

Sort by:
    Oldest to Newest Newest to Oldest Highest Score Most Active

(0) (0)

[h=4]bibsgold[/h]8:31 PM on 13/01/2014
    will she be claiming for more shampoo ,and her swimsuit on her expensess

(5) (1)

[h=4]Stonman[/h]4:35 PM on 13/01/2014
    My comment is not on the politics of this but an observation more on the practicality for re-opening a Lido at this site. Unless it is covered which will be against the ethos of what the Lido is/was I would have serious reservations about the users of the pool.
    The air pollution must be terrible with the amount of traffic nearby which would not have been an issue all those years ago.
    I may be wrong but is it something that has been looked into with the plan to re-open it at this location. Can these factors be mitigated without a roof?

(9) (6)

[h=4]Mr controversial[/h]3:35 PM on 13/01/2014
    Sadly its not about political posturing , its a personal decision which she hopes will spring board her into the world of celebrity status, something that all MP's aspire to nowadays ,, which is why they suck up to celebrity's , and support press freedom restrictions,, cant quite understand why myself ,,most so called celeb's are a strange sad insular bunch , who take vast quantities of illegal substances, and cry and whinge if they are not told how wonderful they are on a daily basis. They forgo what is deemed the normal and try to be anything but!
    The dumb Yanks started the whole cuddle a film star culture ,and sadly it's filtered through to the MP.s ,,so it's not so strange as to why they worship people who pretend to be somebody else for a living.
    Its what politicians do on a daily basis, and Penny wants to milk her 15mins and hope she can get a seat on"Have i got news for you!!

3 replies

16. wave_dodger

My coffee break is due to end, but I had to include this, it's made a bunch of very grumpy Officers snigger:

[h=4]WantedDeadOrAlive[/h]12:29 PM on 13/01/2014
    At first I thought this was just another politic stunt, but having all the facts that Penny is donating all the money to Hilsea Lido and she is doing this in her own time has won me over. I saw her interview on BBC and Sally Taylor was a little hard saying that Penny said that she would be putting all her time and effort into the securing of jobs at BAE Systems as an action against the recent job cuts. I think this was rather unfair.
    Mind you seeing Penny in her swimsuit has made me think of her in a new light. Whooo Hooo! :)

1 reply

(2) (0)

[h=4]Sailor Sam[/h]4:38 PM on 13/01/2014

I can see why she is seeking support, and where that support is needed.

17. Agree. I did something for my community a couple of weeks ago. Informed the local media of my local tory MP's support for the BNP on her facething page. Right old kerfuffle there I can tell ya!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Her self indulgent splash training manages to squish around her other work, awesome. No doubt she worked ridiculously hard to get where she is, she must be intelligent and able to make a name for herself through her work and RNR commitments and actual credible achievements. So she decides to go onto a shallow reality show full of untalented reality show wannabees who have little talent between them; why? Its annoying because it highlights whats wrong with society- people would rather be on some crappy show and risk losing their credibility in the meantime than doing good in a job they enjoy.

Plus people have been fundraising for the lido for ages (and doing more than having the money as a by-product of doing something for themselves); but i wonder who will be all over it if it does reopen- 'i did this, screw my constituents that worked hard to raise money too'. Im sure most people do some things for their community that fall short of selling their integrity for flopping off a diving board alongside some z list celebs.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's not that shallow. They'd break their necks otherwise.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
    • Like Like x 1