Mail: "Taller Than Nelson's Column, It Generates Enough Energy To Power 5,500 Homes"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jun 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ‘People talk about them as Cold War relics but I don’t support that,’ says Dr Lee Willett, Senior Research Fellow in Maritime Studies at the Royal United Services Institute.

‘Their use has evolved, and they have proved versatile and effective as a mobile airfield that you can park anywhere.

'Just think of the USS Carl Vinson, which was the first aircraft carrier into action post 9/11 off the coast of Afghanistan.

Oh dear.

Back to school Dr. Willett.

2. "They are a significant diplomatic tool" My kind of diplomacy

3. I sincerely doubt those were the words Dr Willett used. I suspect it was a journalist's interpretation of this passage from one of his reports:

4. Where as Dr. Willett is just a tool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

That's a lot of faith to put in the accuracy and integrity of Daily Mail reporting especially following NG's advisory.

Or is your experience of Dr Willett's work more extensive than a likely repackaged line in a newspaper that doesn't know a Colonel from a Corporal?

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The DAs may have been installed but I doubt that any of them are generating any electricity yet. Call me pedantic - you're pedantic Seadog- but I also reckon that (once the CVFs are live) 5500 homes is loafing by a factor of 10. Still, its the Daily Mail not KCL/IMechE/IMarEST/RUSI/RINA or the Beano for that matter. Shite spouting, ill informed useless barstewards.