Mail: "Soldiers Went Short Of Kit As MoD Wasted £½m On Art"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Oct 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's nothing new. We squaddies have always had a shortage of kit. On Granby, some of us had to wear yank kit as we couldn't get any of our own from our lovely QM's. I personally was cutting around in a pair of American combat trousers and a night parka (which i swapped for some rations). We were told that with our threadbare kit that we would have to make do and mend. I'm glad the money has been spent on something worthwhile.
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

It's bugger all money really. Shite piccies but, the story isn't worth the paper it's written on. (did you see what I did there? )

How's this for an alternative head line...

MOD sells off unique art collection for service charities.....
  3. Yeah, but where's the political sting in that?
  4. wet_blobby

Aaarg, forgot that angle.

"MOD charity gesture covers up Labour waste"......subtle but gets the dig in....
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Problem with the MOD art collection is that MOD doesnt actually own most of it- a lot of it is gifted to MOD or held in trust. We cant sell it, but equally can't let it go to rot (headline - shame as MOD allows precious art to rot...)

Ultimately the MOD art budget is a fraction of the actual budget, but ensures that a great many wonderful paintings remain on view for all to see. That said the MB paintings are bloody awful!
  6. wet_blobby

If we're going to seriously talk art then Edinburgh Castle has some fantastic piccies, someone needs to pop into the "Ensign Ewart" and think about buying the painting above the door as you walk in as well.
  7. What's it a painting of, WB?
  8. The charge of the Heavy Brigade at Waterloo. When the Union and Household heavy cavalry charged and overextended themselves. It shows the namesake of the pub, Ensign Charles Ewart of the Scots Greys capturing a French Eagle
  9. Get away ! Some of the guys out there just loved the US gear - met a couple RSDG when I was in Riyadh. I was working with BAe / RSAF at the time.

10. Guy at my old TA unit came back from Iraq on Telic with loads of US gear having done a 'Walker' impression with his Rations.
  11. wet_blobby

Ensign Ewart took the eagle at Waterloo ( Think it was Waterloo ).

Typical dramatic napoleonic scene, Ewart was a sgt or so at the time of the battle, got to take the eagle, got promoted for it. Ensign is a fcuk all rank, not an occifer but nearly, poor bugger must of been left in limbo land with that rank.

Cracking painting though mate.
  12. Wrong thread Blobby !!
  13. Right thread, Just took blobbs a while to reply to sols question :p
  14. Oops - must be Fridayitis ...... :oops:
  15. wet_blobby

Give us a chance, it's late down here.... :p
  16. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Re: Mail: "Soldiers Went Short Of Kit As MoD Wasted £½m On

The reason we were short of kit going into TELIC was that DPA didn't include fighting a war in a desert in > division strength. You can have as much money as Bill Gates but if the shop has run out, you go without. The blame is at Blair's door and fcuk all to do with art or comfy chairs. The press and Daily Wail in particular seem to think that 'off the shelf' means a trip to 'Chinooks R Us' on a Sunday with some spare pilots who fly them out of the garden centre to wherever we've been overcommitted.
  17. I read the story as Geoff Hoon spent UK taxpayers money, i.e. went "shopping" for paintings - therefore seen in the wider context of wasted money.
    I know it is "only" half a million pounds but I come from the mindset of look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Therefore this is waste, unwarranted expenditure.

And I now find myself getting a little bit miffed (now there's a little bit of British understatement) when I see any Labour politician questioning anything the new Government are doing to sort out the sh1t that they put the country in in the first place.