Mail: "Shop At Ikea And Cut Back On Your Cleaners, MoD Orders Top Brass"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Dec 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh dear me, we're back here again. So let's see, a quick scan of the Daily Wail's comments show that 99% are semi-illiterate opinionated chumps who have little or no grasp of reality.

Lets take CDS, he gets approx £250k per year for running what is in effect a large global enterprise - the responsibility for it all lies with him and him alone. I for one think that salary isn't particularly spectacular, so now having already eroded everyones (inc CDS) allowances, they want to chip away at the additional benefits - the retinues etc.

Clearly none of the Wails readers realise the hours these people put in, the additional out of hours commitments they have which include a very real need to host foreign VIPs. If these people were working with comparable hours/responsibilities in commerce their renumeration package would dwarf what we pay them and I don't begrudge what the top industry figures get paid because by and large they deliver the goods, as typically do our senior figures.

I'm all for making savings and efficiencies but I simply don't think this is a viable or sensible area - it may appeal to the Mails readership and the old crones down the Legion (club/dole...) - but all it will do is make some career decisions very easy for some of our brighter more able Officers who are ascending the promotion ladder, they will choose a civilian second career and MoD loses out.

Political pandering at its finest...cheap shots

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 1