Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail: "Royal Navy's New £1bn Hunter-Killer Submarine Is Rusting"

........................It's not particularly quick, has had the odd leak and has rust in places - much like any other submarine we've ever had. Other news, today is Friday, the Pope may or may not be a Catholic and bears are still shitting in forests! And don't get me started on "self proclaimed nuclear safety expert and complete bell-end" John Large

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I didn't realise that Astute was commissioned 15 years ago. More accurate reporting.

Waspie

War Hero
........................It's not particularly quick, has had the odd leak and has rust in places - much like any other submarine we've ever had. Other news, today is Friday, the Pope may or may not be a Catholic and bears are still shitting in forests!And don't get me started on "self proclaimed nuclear safety expert and complete bell-end" John Large

Tut tut!

You totally missed the seriously important news that Beckham may move to Australia, although now declined by the man himself.:wink:

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's also on the MOD news feed. The S/M's in my office are not taking it quite as lightly as you are NA4KFP.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Everyone where I am are treating it with the contempt it deserves. It lost all credibility as soon as Large's name appeared in the article, and a vent cap came off some Main Circ pipework...wowser!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I've just re-read the article and it states the Primary Shield Tank is lead lined and using the wrong grade lead has affected the detectors. I was a Primary EA and used to maintain the stuff and I'm pretty sure the tank isn't lead lined, if it was the detectors wouldn't work in the first place, but ready to be corrected.

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
With any luck, the nuclear engineer arch-walt will pick up the phrase 'John Large' in these posts and log on again to get more abuse. John, if you read this post, please, from the bottom of my irradiated heart, suck my spike.

Sumo

War Hero
Other problems that have affected the boat in recent months include:
• Flooding during a routine dive that led to Astute performing an emergency surfacing. Crew lack of knowledge of new vessel, some of the near miss reports when the U boats first put to sea would illustrate that the colour of fear was brown

Corrosion even though the boat is essentially new. Let’s see a few bolts of wrong type or not protected correctly in salt water = rust now there is a revelation?

The replacement or moving of computer circuit boards because they did not meet safety standards. A few were changed from different systems, for upgrade never heard safety was an issue? Most were equipment meeting on vessel for first time teething probs, what’s new?

Concern over the instruments monitoring the nuclear reactor because the wrong type of lead was used.?? See wreckers reply

• Questions being raised about the quality and installation of other pieces of equipment. The Mod wants to buy cheap they get what they pay for some and the arrogance of some of the senior build managers need there blinkers re-sett

• Concern reported among some crew members about the Astute's pioneering periscope, that does not allow officers to look at the surface "live". New tech v Old tech will always get opposition

Well all in all for a vessel more complex than a NASA rocket, I think it has not had that many issues, as for the carrier paper design we will have to wait and see what there actual speed will be. :coffee2::sleepy5: almost time for W/E

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Well, if you think the Grauniad's reporting is bad, check out the Wail. I'm not even going to post a link, suffice to say - 'Missile Compartment,' 'periscope that is underwater' and some other gems of dross.

And on top of all that the fcuking boat is jinxed if I was a submariner I'd rather go on the trot than serve on her and we thought Trafalgar had snags!!!

Rocket_Ron

Lantern Swinger
Corrosion even though the boat is essentially new. Let’s see a few bolts of wrong type or not protected correctly in salt water = rust now there is a revelation?

...Well all in all for a vessel more complex than a NASA rocket, I think it has not had that many issues,

We`ve had iron in water for a couple of hundred years and know about rust and how to stop it. How is it possible that this new and shiny kit is susceptable to a problem over two centuries old ? Its ridiculous that we`re charging forward pioneering new technologies and forgetting the very basics. Its also very lucky that the `unprotected/wrong type` of bolt was in an area where it could be discovered, makes you wonder what other basic mistakes may be lurking out there.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And on top of all that the fcuking boat is jinxed if I was a submariner I'd rather go on the trot than serve on her and we thought Trafalgar had snags!!!

I did 4 years on Traf (1999 - 2003) and she didn't have any major snags, what snags do you mean?

We had all sorts of problems on Holland 1......

I like this snippet about the first British Hollands from The British Submarine by Cdr F W Lipscomb OBE RN:

...Originally in the American design this submarine had no periscope at all. The only way of seeing the situation when the submarine was being operated was to break surface and look through one of the scuttles in the small conning tower. In any sea at all this was a most difficult proceeding for the commanding officer. The idea of the periscope was first thought of and designed for our submarines by Captain Bacon, in conjunction with Howard Grubb, head of a firm of opticians in Dublin. This periscope did not rise up and down vertically when in use, and it could only be in two positions: either fully extended vertically, or housed horizontally by a ball and socket joint on the hull of the submarine when not in use. Also, when the submarine captain was looking ahead the object he saw was upright and when he looked astern the object was upside down. Similarly, when he looked on the beam the object was on its side. Nevertheless this invention was a tremendous step in the evolution of the submarine and although the French were the first to design and fit periscopes, let it be recorded that a Brittish naval officer gave us our own and it was Bacon's periscope which was adopted in the American Navy...

danny

War Hero
Some of the guardians readers are really clever one said 'it will probably sink' well I would hope with all this money spent it bloody does sink.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Mail: "Enemies Beware: Royal Navy Shows Off Its Latest Radar System" The Fleet 8
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seizes 1.25 Tonnes Of Cocaine Worth £60 million From Speedboat" RFA 2
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy's 260 Captains For Just 19 Warships" The Fleet 60
soleil Mail: "Ahoy Heir: Prince Charles Tours Royal Navy Warship That Targets Pirates" The Fleet 0
soleil Daily Mail: "Heroic Royal Navy Officer Rushed To Tackle Crazed Gunnman" Current Affairs 1
soleil Hull Daily Mail: "Long Time No Sea For Royal Navy Veterans" The Fleet 2
soleil Mail: "Second World War Rotors Discovered In Cupboard At Royal Navy Base" History 0
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Sailors Enter An Amazing Underground World In Antarctica" The Fleet 0
soleil Mail: "Baseball Caps & Zip-Up Boots As Royal Navy Makes 'Daring Fashion Statement'" The Fleet 62
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seamen Return Home To Families In Emotional Scenes" The Fleet 16
soleil Burton Mail: "Sailor's 30 Years In The Royal Navy" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Ordered To turn Ship's Guns Around" The Fleet 4
soleil Mail: "US Marines Intercept Drugs Worth £6m With The Help Of Royal Navy Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Birmingham Mail: "Royal Navy In Halesowen Sailor Tragedy Memorial" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: Way Off Target - The Royal Navy Recruitment Poster Featuring A Bombshell ... History 1
soleil Royal Mail - New Stamp Issue - Uniforms of the Royal Navy Current Affairs 35
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
MoD_RSS News story: MOD and Royal Mail sign new agreement to keep personnel connected MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Mail pledges support for Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
soleil Mail: "Were 30 Royal Marines Poisoned By Gas On Derelict Soviet Weapons Plant?" The Corps 5
Ninja_Stoker Daily Mail: Britain's only female Royal Marine Commando gets married. The Corps 14
soleil Mail: "Revealed: The £105m Savings From Scrapping Ark Royal" The Fleet 3
soleil Mail: "Doomed Ark Royal Could Have New Future... As A Floating Helipad On The Thames" The Fleet 10
soleil Mail: "Valiant Ark Royal Heads To Her Final Resting Place" The Gash Barge 24
JonnoJonno Crayoning version of the Royal Mail privatising thread Diamond Lil's 9
S Royal Mail Diamond Lil's 21
Stripey_G Royal Mail Stamps Current Affairs 5
R Royal Mail Postal Strike Current Affairs 27
Captain_Smurf Royal Marines and the Mail on Sunday Diamond Lil's 5
A Royal Mail issues stamps marking 150th anniversary of VC Current Affairs 0
F Not receiving activation E-mail for candidate portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil Mail: RM Found Face Down In Freezing Water During Beach Assault Exercise - Update The Corps 6
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: contacting the exceptional and complex cases team by e-mail MoD News 0
guns1969 Un-solicited Mail Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Mail: "First Of RAF’s £9 Billion Stealth Fighter Fleet To Land On HMS Queen Elizabeth During Trump Visit In July" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Watch A Video Of The Wreck Of The Barrow-Built Sub Holland 5" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "CDS Threatens To Block Promotions Unless Officers Improve The 'Inclusivity And Diversity' Of Their Units" Current Affairs 24