Mail: "Royal Navy's New £1bn Hunter-Killer Submarine Is Rusting"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Nutty, Nov 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ........................It's not particularly quick, has had the odd leak and has rust in places - much like any other submarine we've ever had. Other news, today is Friday, the Pope may or may not be a Catholic and bears are still shitting in forests! And don't get me started on "self proclaimed nuclear safety expert and complete bell-end" John Large

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I didn't realise that Astute was commissioned 15 years ago. More accurate reporting.

3. Tut tut!

You totally missed the seriously important news that Beckham may move to Australia, although now declined by the man himself.:wink:

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

It's also on the MOD news feed. The S/M's in my office are not taking it quite as lightly as you are NA4KFP.

5. Everyone where I am are treating it with the contempt it deserves. It lost all credibility as soon as Large's name appeared in the article, and a vent cap came off some Main Circ pipework...wowser!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. I've just re-read the article and it states the Primary Shield Tank is lead lined and using the wrong grade lead has affected the detectors. I was a Primary EA and used to maintain the stuff and I'm pretty sure the tank isn't lead lined, if it was the detectors wouldn't work in the first place, but ready to be corrected.

7. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

With any luck, the nuclear engineer arch-walt will pick up the phrase 'John Large' in these posts and log on again to get more abuse. John, if you read this post, please, from the bottom of my irradiated heart, suck my spike.

• Like Like x 2
  8. That's what comes from using lead nicked from a church roof.

9. Other problems that have affected the boat in recent months include:
    • Flooding during a routine dive that led to Astute performing an emergency surfacing. Crew lack of knowledge of new vessel, some of the near miss reports when the U boats first put to sea would illustrate that the colour of fear was brown

Corrosion even though the boat is essentially new. Let’s see a few bolts of wrong type or not protected correctly in salt water = rust now there is a revelation?

The replacement or moving of computer circuit boards because they did not meet safety standards. A few were changed from different systems, for upgrade never heard safety was an issue? Most were equipment meeting on vessel for first time teething probs, what’s new?

Concern over the instruments monitoring the nuclear reactor because the wrong type of lead was used.?? See wreckers reply

• Questions being raised about the quality and installation of other pieces of equipment. The Mod wants to buy cheap they get what they pay for some and the arrogance of some of the senior build managers need there blinkers re-sett

• Concern reported among some crew members about the Astute's pioneering periscope, that does not allow officers to look at the surface "live". New tech v Old tech will always get opposition

Well all in all for a vessel more complex than a NASA rocket, I think it has not had that many issues, as for the carrier paper design we will have to wait and see what there actual speed will be. :coffee2::sleepy5: almost time for W/E

10. Well, if you think the Grauniad's reporting is bad, check out the Wail. I'm not even going to post a link, suffice to say - 'Missile Compartment,' 'periscope that is underwater' and some other gems of dross.

11. And on top of all that the fcuking boat is jinxed if I was a submariner I'd rather go on the trot than serve on her and we thought Trafalgar had snags!!!

12. Fortunately you're not =D

• Like Like x 1
  13. We`ve had iron in water for a couple of hundred years and know about rust and how to stop it. How is it possible that this new and shiny kit is susceptable to a problem over two centuries old ? Its ridiculous that we`re charging forward pioneering new technologies and forgetting the very basics. Its also very lucky that the `unprotected/wrong type` of bolt was in an area where it could be discovered, makes you wonder what other basic mistakes may be lurking out there.

14. We had all sorts of problems on Holland 1......

• Like Like x 1
  15. I did 4 years on Traf (1999 - 2003) and she didn't have any major snags, what snags do you mean?

16. I like this snippet about the first British Hollands from The British Submarine by Cdr F W Lipscomb OBE RN:

17. Some of the guardians readers are really clever one said 'it will probably sink' well I would hope with all this money spent it bloody does sink.