Mail: "RN Spends £50bn On New Fighter Jets, But They Can't Land On Carriers"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good job we haven`t any carriers then, otherwise we might look foolish.

2. Speaking from the position of someone who has no background or knowledge of the engineering behind this, im just wondering if this would be a possible solution. If you were to mount the arrester cable on top of a retiring ramp it would give the existing hook a better aspect on which to engage. being mounted on a retiring ramp, the cable would then quickly transition back to deck level and the support provided by the ramp should eliminate the risk of bounce that they were talking about. Just thinking out aloud really, and it's probably nonsense. But hey ho you never know.

3. Have we actually got any carriers left?
    Does it matter (Tongue in cheek)
    Innocent question

4. I wonder if they will now buy the F35b instead.

5. One big joke from start to the present state.

6. By the time we've bought them they'll be a decade out of date technology anyway

7. RN should buy the Rafale M as its a proven weapons system and RN crews will be working up on it anyway, this will save billions in the long run, more than enough to buy some Maritime Patrol aircraft like the Boeing P8 or Airbus A319 (currently the British military are deficient in this area).

So the FAA gets fast movers to operate from the carriers from day one, and maybe a few MPA to play around with from Culdrose (why do the RAF need to operate MPA when the FAA can do it?)

8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hurrah for the Daily Wail and its RN knocking scoop. Load of bollocks - the RN will buy planes that will land on a carrier, they might not be these ones though. The 50bn (or even 5bn - the Wail can't even proof read its own articles) will be spent elsewhere.

9. Been speaking to a mate out there on the project and he reckons all these issues will be resolved by the time we get the aircraft in 2019/20 (!). A new arrestor hook design is being trialled very soon. The helmet mounted display is apparently the biggest cause for concern as it doesn't work as it should and is fundamental to the operating philosophy of the aircraft.

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bags of time to get it all sorted but the blunder over the arrestor hook was pretty inexcusable and I imagine obvious to any naval aviator on the development team. I'm sure Grumman wouldn't have fluffed like that!

11. I guess because it is a multi-service design and not a bespoke Naval aircraft it must have got "overlooked"!