Mail: "RN Reveals Radar That Can Spot A Tennis Ball-Size Object From 15 Miles Away!"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by trelawney126, Mar 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

A sure sign that we want to sell this thing to Europe is that tennis ball has replaced cricket ball.

Other units popular with the media are of course the length of a double-decker bus and an area the size of Wales, neither of which would work across the Channel.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Don't forget 'as tall as Nelson's Column.'

In all seriousness, I'd be disappointed if the new radar couldn't pick up a tennis ball sized object, I've seen 996 put tracks on outgoing 4.5 rounds, albeit for just a second or so, but it's still cool as ****.
  4. I always use "enough fuel to fill the tanks of XX Ford Focuses".

Is it a required part of first-year journalism? Nope. But it is about trying to put things in context compared with everyday objects or the like so people can relate to them. You say the fuel tank holds XX tonnes or cubic metres of fuel and people shrug. You say 200 Ford Focuses and you think: **** me, that's a lot of fuel...
  5. So how much fuel does a Ford Focus take?

About 50 lambretta's?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

If you filled my Ford Focus Zetec fueltank "XX" times with Dieso from a war canoe I'd be well hacked off. It uses unleaded.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I think it's about 55 litres for a basic model. I have to look it up each time I use the reference...
  8. So how many Lambretta's worth is that :)
  9. You may have ruined my fun there. I was hoping he'd come back with the capacity of a Lambretta fuel tank!
  10. 8.1 Ltr :oops:
  11. Which type of mug, one from slops or the taller ones from the NAAFI? A rather important point as it makes all the difference to the answer.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

In all fairness though, if one were to lay the Eiffel Tower on its side and place it in ten olympic-sized swimming pools, I'd be quite pleased.
  13. African or European?
  14. Ten up, keep one and a half buses.