Mail: "Not So Dauntless... Navy's £1 Billion Warship Blacked Out By A £10 Fuse"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, May 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is an unbeleivable story. How much are the MOD paying for fuses nowadays? My local hardware shop sells packs of 5 for £2.50..

2. Don't think the problem was that simple. I think the problem lies with the UK/French power adapters which are necessary to comply with the requirements of the "Shared Asset" scheme.:puker::puker: (insert smiley)

3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I'm not privvy to what happened, nor am I all about on the T45 platform management but this sounds like utter journo invention.

The engines turned over slowly? WTF?

Blackouts are easy to achieve by accident or design in any ship. A blackout is not shock horror ridicule news unless the ship becomes a casualty because of it. Where there is blame the unfortunate responsible will forever be known as 'The Prince of Darkness'. And it doesn't actually go dark if the batteries have been maintained properly. Fecking journalists

4. Thank goodness someone had a shilling for the meter.

But seriously, two minutes on emergency power supplies is hardly a 'black out'. Sounds more like the sort of routine 'machy break' (machinery breakdown exercise) practiced every day at sea.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'd be looking for whoever fed the Mail the story.

6. Must have been little else to report. I echo Janner's point about who let the Daily Mail know about what sounds like a very minor event.

7. Fascinating story; power surge in ship leads to fuse blowing leads to circuit not working until fused replaced. Top notch journalism and a beginner's guide to electric circuitry all in one.

8. Ahh, the long distant memory of hearing "Generator failure, Generator failure, Generator failure" in the dark. Who would have thought that by plugging the UAA1 into ADAWS without clearing down the 20 stored radars first would cause ADAWS to trip and thus cause a genny failure.

Bad Golly, no jam for you.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pretty certain it was in the Times article last week when they were on board; the Times did a much more general feature about the ship and the exercise...

10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Another attempt by The Wail to have a go at the RN. Interesting to note that they shut the comment board off after only 3 contributions, all of which stated the bleeding obvious.......

11. MoD:

"The Mail on Sunday (6 May) carried an article in which it was wrongly claimed that the Type 45 destroyer HMS Dauntless was left helpless and stranded off West Africa. The article does carry the following statement from a Royal Navy spokesman but fails to acknowledge that the ship was not stranded or helpless: "HMS Dauntless was not left drifting and her propellers did not stop. An electrical overload did occur and, to ensure that essential systems remained powered, low priority systems were briefly isolated until the problem was fixed. Every new class of ship has teething problems. Ships have their own characteristics and it takes time for the ship's company to learn them in every environment."

The reference to an electrical overload was gleaned from one short sentence in a full-page piece written by another journalist embedded on HMS Dauntless as the ship successfully exercised with the navies of West African nations. The journalist who was on board HMS Dauntless focused on the benefits for the UK of engaging with other countries through training and exercises, rather than a momentary electrical overload which formed the focus of the Mail on Sunday article."

12. I wonder whether the Mail will print an equally prominent retraction.

(Who am I trying to kid?)

13. I can see why the Mail chap wasn't on board. I mean, you don't want a Leake on a ship...

14. Seadog

In the wake of the truth coming out, Thin Pinstriped Line ( I think I 'know' you) comments on the nature of the Mail.

Journalists claim that journalism is a profession. It would need among other attributes, ethics to qualify. My tar brush is broad but in journalism, there are too many knobs with too big an agenda and / or too small a brain for ethics to get in the way.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Seadog

So, from a non ship specific engineering view point; overload (choice of several reasons for that ) alternator(s) can cope but prefs trip, MEOOW and platform/propulsion management does his/her its thing, ship continues to generate HV, props keep turning, albeit not as fast as before, lights stay on.

Mail journo hears about this second hand, gets erection, imagination goes into overload, no clever programs there to connect him with reality, puts pen to paper, writes ill informed bollocks, editor approves work, publishes.

Reading between his lines earlier, it was obvious he wasn't there and hasn't a scooby about the T45s' generation and propulsion or any like it in the commercial world and didn't bother to ask. Kept the engines turning slowly? :shaking2:Yeah, right.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

It's a sad day when the discomfort of press reporting filters down the line and the rank & file complain about it. I would much rather have this than read about the RN being the best thing since a young lad cycled up a cobbled road to fetch a loaf of bread (No offence Assistant Editor).

17. Well I do have a habit of calling Type 45s "the world's most advanced warships", the Royal Marines "Britain's elite infantry" and the like. Not too bad a chuck-up...