Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail: "Head Of Navy In Astonishing Attack On Libya Campaign"

It emerged today that First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has been given a dressing down by Prime Minister David Cameron for telling reporters ‘challenging decisions’ will have to be made about naval priorities if the Libya campaign continues until after the summer.

Mr Cameron told MPs that he had spoken to Admiral Stanhope.

A Whitehall source was quoted as saying: ‘I think you can assume that there was no coffee or biscuits.’

Sad end for the carrier that is no longer Invincible - East Hampshire - The News

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell it like it is (Retired) Dismissed as an 'armchair admiral'.

Tell it like it is (Serving) Denied coffee and biscuits.

Some say "Why not resign, that'll show 'em." But that has been tried before and nothing was changed.

Mightily depressing, isn't it?

tomm90

Lantern Swinger
What if it takes 10 years to dispose of Gadaffi as it took the US as long to bump of Bin laden? Cameron will have egg all over his face.

broadside

War Hero
What if it takes 10 years to dispose of Gadaffi as it took the US as long to bump of Bin laden? Cameron will have egg all over his face.

And so will General Richards as the remaining bits of the UK Defence Machine grind to a halt because, despite what he might think, and no matter how often he says it, expensive bits of technical kit (ships, aircraft etc) do not just run on and on and on and on ....

It emerged today that First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope has been given a dressing down by Prime Minister David Cameron for telling reporters ‘challenging decisions’ will have to be made about naval priorities if the Libya campaign continues until after the summer.

Mr Cameron told MPs that he had spoken to Admiral Stanhope.

A Whitehall source was quoted as saying: ‘I think you can assume that there was no coffee or biscuits.’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tell it like it is (Retired) Dismissed as an 'armchair admiral'.

Tell it like it is (Serving) Denied coffee and biscuits.

Some say "Why not resign, that'll show 'em." But that has been tried before and nothing was changed.

Mightily depressing, isn't it?

1SL epitomises a fine naval tradition: 'Engage the enemy more closely'.

How often have we heard that the Silent Service's 'can do, make do' attitude has been our downfall with respect to Defence cuts and the acceptance of inferior kit, lean manning, inadequate training, lower standards, poor conditions of service, etc? With all the cutbacks in platforms, individual and unit training resources and exercise opportunities, it's no wonder the 'accident rate' is going up. I forecasted a resulting increase in incidents some years ago. Fortunately, none of them have been cataclysmic to date and the RN has simply suffered 'embarrassments' but you know what I'm talking about.

25 of the RN's 51 warships in service (i.e. 50%) are at sea across the globe, including three ships off Libya. The remainder are in UK waters either pre or post-deployment, waiting to be decommissioned or undergoing a refit (link). I think the Government mistakenly believes that RN vessels and Naval Service personnel have an operational deployment pattern similar to the Army's 'one in five' or the RAF's 'one in four' and can absorb anything extra thrown at them. When we had a large enough Fleet we could but we can't nowadays.

Last edited:
I've had some time to think about this and I consider the Prime Minister's public humiliation (slapping down) of the professional head of the Royal Navy for having to voice his genuine but unheeded concerns completely unacceptable.

After David Cameron's praise for the Royal Navy and hollow reassurances on board HMS Ark Royal (remember her?) in Canada last June (link), I had high hopes that this Government would begin to restore our defences to a fit state. Instead, it has dismantled them even further and we have now been caught wanting during what should have been a relatively short and snappy maritime and air campaign against a minor coastal state.

Owing to its close proximity to the Libyan coast, a single French aircraft carrier has provided over a quarter of all NATO air strikes to date. However, it and its air group have been conducting flying operations almost continuously since October last year when it was deployed to provide close air support for ground forces (mainly British troops) in Afghanistan. It cannot 'soldier' on forever but we no longer have a carrier with Harrier GR9s to relieve it on station. All we can offer is our only operational LPH and even this and its helicopters should be poised off Yemen right now, ready for any prospective non-combatant evacuation operation (NEO).

Does anyone else despair as much for the future security of our national interests as I do? The omens are not good.

After David Cameron's praise for the Royal Navy and hollow reassurances on board HMS Ark Royal (remember her?) in Canada last June (link), I had high hopes that this Government would begin to restore our defences to a fit state. Instead, it has dismantled them even further and we have now been caught wanting during what should have been a relatively short and snappy maritime and air campaign against a minor coastal state.

I was on her last year during that speech and we never felt so betrayed when the news actually broke of her decommissioning. That document pledging closer integration with the French was supposed to have been signed onboard her, but I imagine the strength of feeling was still extremely strong and I'd imagine that it would have been the first time a Prime Minister faced a lynching from the RN. We'd have probably had Sarkozy at the same time. So it ended going to be signed at some non-entity place.

I have to admit, I was surprised with 1SL coming out with the comments that he did, but it did serve to remind the country that we do actually have a Navy and, more importantly it protected UK Coastal waters as well as going to Libya. I think we're still operating off Somalia occasionally too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do sometimes think that the other two services kind of humour us, in that we can occasionally be useful to have but not much use besides. Maybe this speech was actually a way of reminding them that we actually do more than they think, or even realise?

G

guestm

Would anyone like to explain exactly how having 6 semi serviceable harriers flying off a battered past it's sell by date relic would have brought this Libyan stand off to a swift and successful conclusion?

The piece of shit had to go and so did the harriers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worm appears to be turning. They say that talk is cheap. However, it's not cheap when it's done at the expense of listening, especially with the lives of brave men and women at stake:

London Evening Standard 21 Jun 2011 said:
Stick to fighting and I'll do the talking, David Cameron tells top brass

David Cameron today told defence chiefs, "you do the fighting and I'll do the talking" as he laid bare his frustration with warnings over the impact of spending cuts. In a briefing paper for MPs, the RAF's second-in-command Air Chief Marshal Sir Simon Bryant said the RAF's ability to respond to future emergencies was likely to be "eroded" if the mission in Libya continues beyond the summer...

Last week, the head of the Royal Navy, Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope, warned the Government would face "challenging decisions" if the Libya mission lasted more than six months.

Mr Cameron told a Downing Street press conference: "There are moments when I wake up, read the newspapers and think: 'Well look, you do the fighting and I'll do the talking'. Time is on our side and we will keep going with this; and the pressure is turning up all the time."

But he faced calls from MPs to re-open the strategic defence and security review or at least boost the Ministry of Defence budget...

finknottle

Banned
The Leader of the opposition got it right at PMQ's today when he said that Cameron's response to concerns raised by two very senior military officers of 'You do the fighting and I'll do the talking' was crass and high-handed, I would go further and say that it was arrogant and offensive but I expect little else from the chinless wonder.

Another case of déjà vu?
The Sun 11 Mar 2010 said:
FURY erupted in the Commons yesterday as Labour MPs attacked military heroes for criticising the PM. Angry David Cameron demanded an apology following claims that top brass spoke out on war budgets "because they are Tories". Banging his papers on the dispatch box, the Tory chief thundered: "Oh, it's because they are Tories, is it?

"That is what this tribalist, divisive Government thinks of people who serve our country. It is a disgraceful slur." He told Gordon Brown: "You should disassociate yourself completely from what your colleagues have said." But the PM refused, saying: "We do not send our troops into battle without the commanders assuring us that they are properly equipped."

The clash follows criticism from Lords Guthrie and Boyce - a former general and admiral - over Mr Brown's "disingenuous" evidence on spending at the Iraq Inquiry last week. Meanwhile, Mr Cameron listed military figures and civil servants who had also attacked the PM for defence spending shortages. He said: "Why do you think all these people, dedicated to defence of this country, are wrong?"...
Daily Mail 11 Mar 2010 said:
Gordon Brown today hit back at former military chiefs who have criticised his funding of defence, insisting they are 'wrong'. The Prime Minister was forced to defend his record on defence funding yet again after new documents revealed he totally miscalculated the cost of the war in Afghanistan. Papers released under freedom of information laws showed he only put aside 'hundreds of millions' to pay for the war which has already cost £9.4billion.

Mr Brown made a flying visit to Afghanistan after telling the official inquiry into the Iraq war last Friday he had never turned down a military request for equipment. But he was accused of being 'disingenuous' by former Chiefs of Defence Staff General Lord Guthrie and Admiral Lord Boyce who insist the defence budget was too small...

A spectacular war of words erupted after David Cameron quizzed Mr Brown at Prime Minister's Questions in the Commons. He quoted the views of Lord Guthrie and Lord Boyce, both former heads of the Armed Forces, who last week described Mr Brown's evidence to the Iraq Inquiry as 'disingenuous'...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
F Not receiving activation E-mail for candidate portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 7
soleil Mail: RM Found Face Down In Freezing Water During Beach Assault Exercise - Update The Corps 6
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: contacting the exceptional and complex cases team by e-mail MoD News 0
guns1969 Un-solicited Mail Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Mail: "First Of RAF’s £9 Billion Stealth Fighter Fleet To Land On HMS Queen Elizabeth During Trump Visit In July" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Watch A Video Of The Wreck Of The Barrow-Built Sub Holland 5" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "CDS Threatens To Block Promotions Unless Officers Improve The 'Inclusivity And Diversity' Of Their Units" Current Affairs 24
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improved mail service ensures loved ones can stay in touch MoD News 0
photface DGW Mail Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS News story: MOD and Royal Mail sign new agreement to keep personnel connected MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD extends its free mail service for Defence Personnel MoD News 0
G Daily Mail caught lying again. How long can they get away with it? Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Mail pledges support for Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
wave_dodger Daily Mail does it again Current Affairs 103
S Daily Mail - redundancy mess up. Current Affairs 11
soleil NW Evening Mail: Falklands Veteran Sub Leaves Barrow And Embarks On Her Final Voyage Submariners 3
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Mail: "Britain's 'Invisible' Stealth Fighter That Has Cost The Taxpayer £1.3 billion" The Gash Barge 10
soleil Mail: "Antiques Roadshow Object Solves 40-year Puzzle Of How 280ft RN Submarine Sank" Submariners 9
sgtpepperband Daily Mail Wail Fail Current Affairs 15
soleil Mail: "Enemies Beware: Royal Navy Shows Off Its Latest Radar System" The Fleet 8
soleil Mail: "Battle Of The River Plate Monument To Be Unveiled Today" History 10
soleil Mail: "Navy's Gibraltar Stand-off With Spanish Patrol: Warship Challenges 3 Ships" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Huge Piece Of Submarine Dwarfs Barrow Road" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "BehinD The Scenes With The British Pilots Learning To Fly F-35 Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Mail: 'RN Veteran Finally Receives His Medals, 64 Years After They Were Lost In Post' History 3
soleil Mail: "Sweetheart Letters On Display For First Time As Part of New RN Exhibition" History 9
soleil Mail: "Were 30 Royal Marines Poisoned By Gas On Derelict Soviet Weapons Plant?" The Corps 5
soleil Mail: 'History In Black And White: WWI Vessels To Be Repainted In 'Dazzle Camouflage' History 1
soleil Mail: "One For Hovering Buyers: Harrier Jump Jet For Sale" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Mail: "A Real Maverick! Norwegian F16 Fighter Pilot Poses For A Selfie" The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Mail: "The Maternity Military: How Nearly 100 Female Soldiers Have Been Sent Home" Current Affairs 14
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seizes 1.25 Tonnes Of Cocaine Worth £60 million From Speedboat" RFA 2
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
soleil Mail: Gov Refuses To Axe Dickensian Rules Forcing Army Widows To Choose Love/Pension Finance & Pensions 28