Mail: Gov Refuses To Axe Dickensian Rules Forcing Army Widows To Choose Love/Pension

G

guestm

Oooh. This could be a great thread. The big question being: Why would a widow still require a pension once they're back on their feet and in another combined income household?

SWS Fag

Lantern Swinger
Oooh. This could be a great thread. The big question being: Why would a widow still require a pension once they're back on their feet and in another combined income household?
They wouldn't, unless they marry a bum. Maybe they should base it on household income.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Love the paradox with the use of "Dickensian" to describe the dilemma of a widow potentially losing her current pension, based on a Victorian concept that a wife is dependent on her husband. The irony is the insistence that a widow continues to receive her husband's pension - and is therefore dependant on him, alive or dead.

(FYI: No longer referred to as "Widow's Pension"; now called "Survivor's Benefits" as they can be transferred to children and other relatives, not necessarily the deceased's partner)

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
I don't see any problem with a widow loosing her pension on remarriage. This is the norm for most occupations.
I remember paying in an extra sum in either the late 70s or early 80s to ensure that on my death my wife would be entitled to half my service pension.Money well spent.
However if I pop my clogs first and she then re-marries she looses the pension.
Neither my wife or I have a problem with this.

fishhead

War Hero
I'd have thought there was a simple solution for any widow wishing to cling on to her Survivor's Benefit is to remain officially single.

wannabejack

Lantern Swinger
I would say I am on the side of HMG on this one but only just. If a widow that was in receipt of her husband's pension won the lottery, and thus no longer depended on the pension to get by, should payments then cease?

Guzzler

War Hero
I would say I am on the side of HMG on this one but only just. If a widow that was in receipt of her husband's pension won the lottery, and thus no longer depended on the pension to get by, should payments then cease?
I would say not as that would effectively be means testing which is not the issue - it's one's status regarding having a lump thrown up one.

Good point from MLP. I usually disagree with the government because I don't agree with them but this looks a fair call to me. Erm, apart from the fact that they shouldn't exist of course.

soleil

War Hero

pie.thatcher

Lantern Swinger
because their husbands earned it. He would have had his rate of pay lowered by around 8% for all his service to pay for his pension and a widows pension. Do civil servants, police, fire brigade, local aurthority workers have it done to them?

G

guestm

because their husbands earned it. He would have had his rate of pay lowered by around 8% for all his service to pay for his pension and a widows pension. Do civil servants, police, fire brigade, local aurthority workers have it done to them?
Exactly. Their husbands earned it, not them. I appreciate that losing your significant other is traumatic and the provision of a death pension helps when you are bringing up kids alone etc. However, as for the rule being 'Dickensian' that statement is contradictory. What is Dickensian is the argument that widows need that money to exist and the assumption all widows are women. They've lost their own argument right there. Women have jobs these days and can even vote after all. Provide for yourself.

If you're at the point where you are ready to move on with your life and enter another relationship you then become a normal household again like any other. Money that you haven't earned should not be a factor. You've moved on, you're back on your feet, you don't need it.

If people are honestly of the opinion that keeping that money is more important than any potential relationship and they are being 'forced to choose' as they put it, then they're a bit of a twat. "Sorry, I can't marry you as I'll lose this money I'm getting" lovely.

scouse

War Hero
Kept out of this one for at time!!! But you would not get married, and loose your Pension , would you?????? Just live together. Like most of the single parent Mothers do today .. Still claiming all the benefits, that goes with that status. You know you would, makes sense

G

guestm

Kept out of this one for at time!!! But you would not get married, and loose your Pension , would you?????? Just live together. Like most of the single parent Mothers do today .. Still claiming all the benefits, that goes with that status. You know you would, makes sense
Depends on your outlook. If you're a money hungry, materialistic shit then fair enough.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Not receiving activation E-mail for candidate portal Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Prime Minister's article in the Mail on Sunday: 17 May 2020 MoD News 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Submariner Memorial Appeal - Competition To Celebrate The RN To Be Launched By BAE In Barrow" Submariners 2
soleil Mail: RM Found Face Down In Freezing Water During Beach Assault Exercise - Update The Corps 6
soleil Mail: "RM Chiefs Spark Fury By Offering £10,000 'Golden Hello' Payments To Former Commandos To Rejoin" The Corps 15
soleil Mail: HMS Defender Seizes £3.3m Haul Of Crystal Meth From Drug Smuggler's Dhow In The Arabian Sea The Fleet 3
soleil Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible" History 10
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: contacting the exceptional and complex cases team by e-mail MoD News 0
guns1969 Un-solicited Mail Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Mail: "First Of RAF’s £9 Billion Stealth Fighter Fleet To Land On HMS Queen Elizabeth During Trump Visit In July" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Watch A Video Of The Wreck Of The Barrow-Built Sub Holland 5" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1
soleil Mail: "CDS Threatens To Block Promotions Unless Officers Improve The 'Inclusivity And Diversity' Of Their Units" Current Affairs 24
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Defence Secretary Op-Ed for the Mail on Sunday on mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Improved mail service ensures loved ones can stay in touch MoD News 0
photface DGW Mail Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
MoD_RSS News story: MOD and Royal Mail sign new agreement to keep personnel connected MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: MOD extends its free mail service for Defence Personnel MoD News 0
G Daily Mail caught lying again. How long can they get away with it? Current Affairs 31
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Mail pledges support for Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
wave_dodger Daily Mail does it again Current Affairs 103
S Daily Mail - redundancy mess up. Current Affairs 11
soleil NW Evening Mail: Falklands Veteran Sub Leaves Barrow And Embarks On Her Final Voyage Submariners 3
soleil Mail: "The Return Of Britain's 'Top Guns': Royal Navy Recommissions Training Squadron The Fleet Air Arm 11
soleil Mail: "Britain's 'Invisible' Stealth Fighter That Has Cost The Taxpayer £1.3 billion" The Gash Barge 10
soleil Mail: "Antiques Roadshow Object Solves 40-year Puzzle Of How 280ft RN Submarine Sank" Submariners 9
sgtpepperband Daily Mail Wail Fail Current Affairs 15
soleil Mail: "Enemies Beware: Royal Navy Shows Off Its Latest Radar System" The Fleet 8
soleil Mail: "Battle Of The River Plate Monument To Be Unveiled Today" History 10
soleil Mail: "Navy's Gibraltar Stand-off With Spanish Patrol: Warship Challenges 3 Ships" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil NW Evening Mail: "Huge Piece Of Submarine Dwarfs Barrow Road" Submariners 0
soleil Mail: "BehinD The Scenes With The British Pilots Learning To Fly F-35 Fighter Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Mail: 'RN Veteran Finally Receives His Medals, 64 Years After They Were Lost In Post' History 3
soleil Mail: "Sweetheart Letters On Display For First Time As Part of New RN Exhibition" History 9
soleil Mail: "Were 30 Royal Marines Poisoned By Gas On Derelict Soviet Weapons Plant?" The Corps 5
soleil Mail: 'History In Black And White: WWI Vessels To Be Repainted In 'Dazzle Camouflage' History 1
soleil Mail: "One For Hovering Buyers: Harrier Jump Jet For Sale" The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Mail: "A Real Maverick! Norwegian F16 Fighter Pilot Poses For A Selfie" The Fleet Air Arm 6
soleil Mail: "The Maternity Military: How Nearly 100 Female Soldiers Have Been Sent Home" Current Affairs 14
soleil Mail: "Sea Of Love: Royal Navy Crew Spell Out Valentine's Message On The Deck" The Fleet 4
soleil Mail: "Royal Navy Seizes 1.25 Tonnes Of Cocaine Worth £60 million From Speedboat" RFA 2
soleil BBC: "Mail Rail - What Is It Like On The 'Secret' Tube?" History 0
soleil Mail: "Silent Cities Of Sacrifice: Battlefields Where You Can Mark 100 Yrs Since WW1" History 4
soleil Mail: HMS Illustrious - A New Lease Of Life As Luxury Yacht/Disaster Relief Ship The Fleet 6
sgtpepperband Daily Mail: "Pensioner scammed for 56 YEARS that cost her £200,000 and marriage" Diamond Lil's 6
soleil Mail: "The Helicopter Squadron That Saves 300 Lives A Year" The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil Mail: "Tory MP Penny Mordaunt Signs Up To Take Part In TV Diving Show Splash" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 23