Mail: "Fun And Games On The Thames As Navy Practises Over Tower Bridge"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

2. Article also says he's a "Royal Navy rescue officer in full uniform". He must have gone down the rope before the bootie then, I'd like to have seen an officer in Nos 1's with sword do that.

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

It's the Wail, what do you expect. Interested to note that the ceremony is going to include a tribute to the NHS. I presume that means that the crowd will turn up, sit reading last year's Country Life for 4 hours before being told that the ceremony has been postponed and that they will get another slot in 6 months time.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I like the use of the word "Hat". Perhaps the reporter was Airborne?

5. A Royal Navy stuntman ......... Can I join as one of them. Is it a new branch in the navy.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I first thought that too, when I read Jon Pigeon's Tweet about the soldier with the massive head. Then I reasoned, he was probably talking about a Guardsman (extract below):

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. What a cynical person you are. As if that ever happens.

8. I see that the Mail has now edited the original article.

9. Ooooh! As he lost his green lid ... hope he didn't hurt himself when he landed! Bet some Woo gave him grief about FOD as well!

Liked the bit about hovering a few feet above the traffic ... look a lot more than a few feet to me!

10. I was there at the Tower this evening for the arrival of the flame and the guys acquitted themselves very well indeed. There were, in fact, two Sea Kings; one arrived shortly after 20:00 and hovered over the part of the Tower closest to the river, as a forward party of bootnecks abseiled down towards the party of luminaries awaiting the flame. At 20:12, another Sea King hove into view and to cheering and much flashing from cameras, Mne Williams began his slow descent towards the ground, demonstrating superb control as he edged his way remarkably slowly down the rope, with the small miners' lamp containing the flame dangling from his belt.

There was a noticeable Naval presence there this evening; the Sea King from which Mne Williams descended had been decorated with a large "Royal Navy" banner; all in all, good Navy PR.

You can see Mne Williams abseiling down with his precious cargo in the BBC's clip here:

BBC News - Olympic torch: Flame makes dramatic arrival in London

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OlympicTorchAtTower.jpg

The forward party arriving.

12. Jack was there too:

[​IMG]
    LPhot Simpson getting ready for the arrival of Olympic Torch !!

13. =============================================

=============================================

BZ.

I trust that Martyn will remember to complete a spellcheck before his Olympic Torch Carrier tattoo gets inked in.