Mail: "Divers Uncover Guns, A Mop And Even Bottles Of Booze From British Warship HMS Invincible"

soleil

War Hero
"Guns, a mop and even bottles of booze are among hundreds of fascinating artefacts that have gone on display for the first time after being recovered from the wreck of a historic warship which sunk off the British coast 261 years ago.

HMS Invincible was captured from the French by the British in 1747 but became wrecked on a shallow sand bank in the Solent in 1758.

The wreck, which is three nautical miles from Portsmouth, Hampshire, was first discovered by a fisherman in shallow 25ft waters 40 years ago.

But changing sea bed levels in the past few years have left it more exposed to the elements, leading to fears the relics could deteriorate.

This concern prompted archaeologists to carry out a full scale excavation with 1,458 dives taking place between 2017 and 2019, during which nearly 2,000 artefacts were recovered.

The array of new finds including the ship's enormous cutwater, the forward curve of the ship's stem, have now been unveiled at the Archaeological Centre in Poole, Dorset.

They will eventually go on display at the National Museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth."

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Signed for it!!!!!????? Come on, Wrecks, I wasn't born yesterday, I was Noah's Sea Daddy.
I haven't said anyfink, I is being picked on an' bullied now. I'll tell a MOD.......oh dats me innit :oops::D

I do like the headline that she was "stolen from the French", I take it that's a Wail euphemism for "won in a fair fight" :rolleyes:

Wightsparker

War Hero
I haven't said anyfink, I is being picked on an' bullied now. I'll tell a MOD.......oh dats me innit :oops::D

I do like the headline that she was "stolen from the French", I take it that's a Wail euphemism for "won in a fair fight" :rolleyes:
I had completely missed that bit of the headline. Perhaps the sub-editor is a closet Corbynista ( on the Wail, too!) and believes property is theft.