Mail: "Battle Of The River Plate Monument To Be Unveiled Today"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Apr 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. article-2602647-009937851000044C-754_634x441.jpg

"It was the first major naval battle of the Second World War, and led to the sinking of the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee.

The Battle of the River Plate, which took place 75 years ago, was described by Winston Churchill as a 'brilliant sea fight' which took its place in Royal Navy annals.

Tomorrow, four of the handful of survivors will meet at the National Memorial Arboretum, where people remember Britain's war sacrifices, to unveil a monument to the famous victory."

Battle of the River Plate monument to mark Allies' victory over Graf Spee | Mail Online
  2. I am just sorry that my old friend Robbie Robinson, wounded as an 18-year-old bunting tosser on board HMS Ajax, isn't still around to witness this event.
  3. I'm sorry to hear that, NG. Would it be appropriate for you to raise a tot to absent friends today?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Battle of the River plate Monument

I thought Achilles was HMNZS at the Battle. It was mentioned as that in the reports at the time.

St George.

PS, A first timer I hope I haven't stuffed it up.
  5. You are correct, she was commissioned as HMS Achilles but loaned to New Zealand in 1936 and became HMNZS Achilles, she returned to RN control in 1946 and reverted to HMS Achilles before being sold to India.

HMS Achilles | NZHistory, New Zealand history online

HMNZS Achilles (70) of the Royal New Zealand Navy - New Zealand Light cruiser of the Leander class - Allied Warships of WWII -
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The RNZN wasn't established until October (?) 1941 so the prefix HMNZS wasn't used until then.

If I understand correctly.
  7. Spookily enough my wife's grandfather was a gunner on the Exeter at that time, I served on the most recent Achilles (76/77), strange coincidence
  8. That's right, before then it was known as the New Zealand Division of the Royal Navy. I've seen sites that give ships pre-1941 either the HMS or HMNZS prefix although it should be HMS.

Second World War - Royal NZ Navy | NZHistory, New Zealand history online