Mail: "Antiques Roadshow Object Solves 40-year Puzzle Of How 280ft RN Submarine Sank"

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by soleil, May 1, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The calamitous little-known tale of how a Royal Navy submarine sank at its own mooring when blundering crewmen accidentally left its hatches open was today revealed.

HMS Artemis was about to be refuelled at a wet dock in Gosport, Hampshire, in July 1971 when the 280ft vessel began sinking to the horror of her crew.

Hapless submariners had forgotten to shut the torpedo loading bay and the rear escape hatch was also left open so that power cables could be run through to the control room."

Antiques Roadshow object solves 40-year puzzle of how 280ft Royal Navy submarine SANK in 1971 | Mail Online
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This coming Sunday 4th May 2000 on BBC1 I think. Second bite at last year's AR at the RM Museum.

As an aside, I grimace at the number of times the BBC antiques experts talk total twaddle about naval things.
  3. The Antique Roadshow haven't solved the mystery because there never was a mystery. Buck Taylor's souvenir played no part in the sinking and was certainly never on the bridge.
  4. His story is slightly different to what actually happened, there was a catalogue of cock ups that lead to the sinking, being smug I've got a copy of the investigation and recommendations from the incident at work :)
  5. Not smug Wrecker just a boring old knut like me, you got to be there to know the story!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Think I've got a copy of that investigation around here too somewhere.
  7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

What's the puzzle about dodgy ballasting and open hatches? [​IMG]
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I always though submarines were meant to sink anyway.
  9. I'm a bit surprised that no-one seems to have commented on the Daily Wail story itself. The "little-known" story was actually headline news on radio, TV and newspapers - if you scroll down the pictures you will see the Wail's own front page story at the time! The subsequent court martial was also covered in depth ( OK, sorry)

It was certainly not good PR for the RN at the time. But as I recall, the swift reaction of the then FOSM PRO in convincing his bosses to allow the media in to HMS Dolphin meant that the hacks were able to concentrate on the good news story of the rescue and not squeal about a cover-up. An interesting example of what was actually making the best of a bad job - and good PR practice.