Mad,Sad and Bad Boat and Ship names

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by seamjay, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow.
    Laugh?
    I nearly got the wets in.

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:tool:

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

F69, HMS Bacchante, HMS Bag shanty to all who knew her.

RFA Tiderace, renamed after the name was discovered to rhyme with Liberace.

And HMS Blue Cockchafer, mercifully renamed Highburton before anyone had to wear THAT cap tally ashore.

4. Nothings ever been that funny... :lol:

5. I offer you HMS Black Joke. Not that bad? What if I tell you she was brig employed chasing down slave ships? Whoever thought of that fcuker had a sense of humour...

Or how about HMS Flying Greyhound? 'Good morning, noble carpenter, would you be so kind as to knock me up a figurehead for His Majesty's newest frigate - the gallant ship Flying Greyhound? Oh, I'm sure you'll think of something...'

Or HMS Inflexible: 'Change course.'...crackle..'Fcuk off'.

Hours of fun for the whole family: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ship_names_of_the_Royal_Navy

6. I had a 21' Fishing boat wot I called Ikky Boo after the little steam tender in Cape Town

7. uss ponce :lol:

8. Black Joke was a very common name for a ship between 1600 - 1850, many famous pirates renamed their ship Black Joke, most of them ex-slavers.

9. There were 2 WW2 S boats called "Snapper" and "Starfish". I wouldn't have liked to have to admit I'd spent some time on the Snapper!!

10. And HMS Blue Cockchafer, mercifully renamed Highburton before anyone had to wear THAT cap tally ashore.[/quote]

We used to have a sonar set codenamed "cockchafer" used to hate operating it.....dreaded getting a contact and having to yell out "COCKCHAFER CONTACT,BEARING GREEN 20,CENTRE BEARING 340" :roll: :oops: 8)

11. We used to have a sonar set codenamed "cockchafer" used to hate operating it.....dreaded getting a contact and having to yell out "COCKCHAFER CONTACT,BEARING GREEN 20,CENTRE BEARING 340" :roll: :oops: 8)[/quote]

I like! That's brilliant. :lol:

12. And the 'Gay' MTBs ?

One of our Tory Chancellors was in one during WW2.

There is a site dedicated to the restoration of one of them, and it is mentioned somewhere in the back forums.

:)

13. In the late 1700's there was HMS Queen.

Might of had a problem if it had sunk...Admiralty would have to inform families that their son went down on the Queen.

In WW2 many men went down on the Prince of Wales...some of them went down with the ship as well 8O

14. This the one Wreck

-

[​IMG]

15. Doh! 8O That picture is in the original posting link together with all the other photos. :)

16. Wind yer neck in , I posted it for Wreck as he was unable to .