MAA

Hello, new to the site so not sure where to post this.

Can you lose a day's entitled leave for an maa. I had leave booked in for the week and have been issued an maa. The punishment is 4 hours extra work which is being taken tomorrow but I have been told I won't get the days leave back as its a punishment.

Is this allowed? I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on the subject before I approached my DO.

You haven't lost a days leave, you're just required onboard, you can't actually stop someones leave except under certain circumstances.

it's an age old ploy (I was a DO in the past), you can't necessarily stop someones leave but you can require them onboard, same effect but perfectly legal. Perhaps you should have followed your screen name ;)

Why wouldn't you see your DO or the MAA/Coxn instead of seeking the opinion of strangers on the internet, with no knowledge of their level of knowledge or experience? What are you going to say? A man on the internet told me this is allowed?

Go through official channels if you have a question about this.

Though for what it's worth, I think Wrecker's wrong. If you are at work you aren't on leave by definition, hence why the dates of leave input onto JPA are the first day of leave to the last inclusive. Therefore if you're required to work that day you can't be on leave. Stoppage of leave is a perfectly valid punishment, but you can't have leave taken off you, it's an entitlement, so you should be credited that days leave back.

Thanks for the replies.

I was only asking advice on here as there may be some one who has experienced similar and may know a JSP or BR to look at( i couldn't see any of help).

My DO is the one who issued the MAA and the Cox'n (small ship) is the one who can credit my leave back but he is the one who says i cant get it back. So i was looking for something written down in a BR/JSP to bring to them as in the past other members of my division have been chinned of from or DO/DSR(coxn).

You probably need to get better at using google then fella.

A 5 min search has brought up Ch20 section of BR3 that specifically deals with MAA’s. There’s also a list references at the start of the Chapter. The only downside is that section 5 refs JSP 833, which has been archived.

After a cursory glance I couldn’t see anything that covered your exact circumstances. Extra work is one of the censures that’s allowed under the MAA scheme, but it doesn’t mention losing leave to do that.

My gut instinct is that your Coxn’s wrong and you should be credited with the leave back, but I’m an engineer not a pusser so I’m no legal expert.

Minor Administrative Action, that is, a formalised and regulated version of doubling round the Main Deck with a heavy weight in each hand (on the basis that the old way of doing things was susceptible to abuse).

Minor Administrative Action, that is, a formalised and regulated version of doubling round the Main Deck with a heavy weight in each hand (on the basis that the old way of doing things was susceptible to abuse).
Running around Ganges parade ground with my bed on my back, whole class midnight exercise, post pillow fight. And doubling around Collingrad parade ground with a rifle above my head, on more than one occasion was abuse? Well I'll be buggered. Is looking for my DO a bit late?

as said above, stoppage of leave is a punishment, not allowing annual leave is different.
was it annual leave
toil
M&M (not nutty)
Other time off
night leave
weekend leave
You were supposed to be Duty?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

My DO is the one who issued the MAA and the Cox'n (small ship) is the one who can credit my leave back but he is the one who says i cant get it back. So i was looking for something written down in a BR/JSP to bring to them as in the past other members of my division have been chinned of from or DO/DSR(coxn).
Seniors on a power trip? Well I never......

I suppose the rockport walk and spinning dits about the good old days only fill so much of the year.
Well the MSFT I do at the same level as an 18 year old takes up about 8 mins, so that leaves the rest of the day to wax lyrical about my ridiculous LSA levels and then popping into the mess for unlimited beer and spirits. Life indeed is tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the MSFT I do at the same level as an 18 year old takes up about 8 mins
Fair play to you

so that leaves the rest of the day to wax lyrical about my ridiculous LSA levels and then popping into the mess for unlimited beer and spirits. Life indeed is tough.
That does sound like a nice life, probably makes it worth taking home half the pay you would receive for the same amount of time served in the private sector....