MA

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by robbo9, Apr 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello all,

i realise i have asked things before, but i want to make sure this is what i want.

ermm MA's?

how much paperwork do they do? (% wise)
    How much sea time do they get, also is it easy to get?
    do many MAs become PTI's or Regs?
    wot is the overall view of MA's?
    is it more like a paramedic or nurse?

thanks guys

2. Well i can only go on what i experienced in the 80's.There is a certain amount of paperwork to be done in the sickbay setting,its not excessive by a long shot.In the Hospital setting there is the usual amount that you find common in Civy St and there can be quite a bit.I didnt get any seatime but then the Fleet was being reduced big time in the 70's and 80's.The Role of an MA is (or was) a cross between a Nurse and Paramedic,theres no real civvy equivalent.I dont know of ANY MA 's that recatted to PTI or Reggie.The training course for MA is quite intensive as it should be,and as such does tend to attract those with a Medical Interest.Its also one of the hardest Branches to get into at the moment so i have been told.Hope this helps.I thoruoghly enjoyed my time as an MA and subsequently went on to do my rGN in Civvy St.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

1. A fair bit of form filling-approx 1 side of A5 per customer/patient per visit - about 50% paperwork.
    2. Similar to writers, first sea draft approx 27 months, not sure current sea/shore ratio.
    3. Not many- when you sign-on you sign to say you understand that you cannot change branches. It is unrealistic to expect to be able to transfer.
    4. Socks & sandals wearing, loners? Often bearded- the blokes sometimes are too. You become obsessed with shiny polished decks- otherwise no different to a normal matelot.
    5. Yes

4. Ninja_Stoker

Er, no offence Andy! :D

5. LOL none taken mate,the training came in a treat,never did a stroke of revision,always top in Anatomy & Physiology.And the i used my RGN to get a Drugs Reps job paying good money,bit boring now though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Ninja_Stoker

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

7. Must be a stoker the one on the left judging by the crabby shirt!LOL

8. Ninja_Stoker

Which? On the left of the MA looking inwards or outwards?

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

NJ you [email protected] I just swamped me chair laughing at them to inbreeds

10. Ninja_Stoker

Cheeky swine, that's me & AaC at our civil wedding!

11. PMSL sorry shippers.

12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

dont..thats funny as feck,,,,,hahaha...cnut

13. Have any of you guys read any of Robbos other posts? Be afraid if they let him loose in the RN? :roll:

14. That's the 2 MA's that done my Medical at Ganges, never been the same since :cry:
    The horror :(

15. Actually they are 2 Naval Nurses before the got their Uniforms!

16. Ninja_Stoker

Jesus! Cheers Hig. Well, he certainly ain't going to be an MA, even if he is that ugly, he won't pass the test that's for sure! Think we're safe in the M.E. department too. Can someone post a link to ARRSE for him? :lol: