MA or Naval Nurse

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by madave, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently applying and been waiting for MA, I received my start date on Saturday for November. The problem is during the long wait I have gone back to uni and started studying again, I have also applied to uni and gotten an interview for Nursing in 2weeks time to study in September. What do I do? Do I go to uni better myself and the possibly apply for the forces again... Do I join as an MA and try to transfer to Nursing(but how long could this take and will they let me do it or am I going to have leave after 4years and reapply.. Or do I try and change my application to Nursing now but will have to take my RT again..

Help please, will not accept just get on with it comments!!.

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its your life, your decision, just get on with it!
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Definitely Nurse - sexier uniform...

4. sgtpepperband

PS: what he said...
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Shit, beaten to it by a crusher!

Mmmmmm, naval nurses.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The AFCO can offer Careers Advice but the decision ultimately rests with the individual, not the unofficial ravings of those of us on an internet forum.

Those clever enough to complete a Nursing degree will be aware that the only guaranteed way of becoming a nurse is by starting as one. No other route is assured. A graduate Nurse is higher qualified & is able to directly transfer to a civilian job after serving in the Royal Navy, an MA is only likely to transfer to a direct equivalent civilian job as an ODP/ODA if they go down that route.

Just to muddy the waters - I've processed several graduate Nurses who elected to join the Navy as Medical Assistants. The reason? They wanted the opportunity to travel the world & appreciated there was more likelihood of achieving this as an MA when compared to NN seagoing billet availability.

Your call.
  7. MADave

What do you already have in the way of qualifications, GCSEs, A Levels etc? Pls list everything.

Which Uni are you considering for Nursing?

Edit: Sorry Ninja, didn't see your post before I added mine.
  8. 'David,

I think all that 'spinning' has 'gotten' (?? ugh!!) your poor head in a spin, sunshine: Only two days ago you posted this, remember?

<<I haven't heard from them since Aug2010 to yesterday when I got my start date which is a very long time and one of the main reasons I started to become demotivated.But as soon as I started reading my letter it all came back to me!!!>>

Sure, there are lots of sweeties in the shop window; but you are clutching a much-in-demand Voucher for your chosen career in the RN with all the lifestyle attractions which first drew you towards it. OTOH you will create immense happiness for the next bod on the RN's waiting list if you do pull out now, how altruistic are you feeling today?

Does anyone need to add anything else?
  9. tiddlyoggy

Weheyy! Haven't we all shipmate!
  10. Aha, but some of 'em at ARRSE are still waiting for their promised bus-fulls to arrive, TO :wink:
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Funnily enough, as a PO stoker I used to share a house in Gosport with three MA(Q)'s & a female NN.

It was hell.
  12. For them it was a 'Safe House' then, Nina?:-|
  13. Were they sympathetic and helpful when you were unwell?
  14. Maths, English,double science GCSE's B
    12GCSE's in total A-C

100ucas points from alevels in ICT and Music tech

Currently studying chemistry and biology access course at uni.. I dont know if it is worth ucas points but it leads on degrees in sciences..

I have an interview at Kingston for nursing which also ask for 240 ucas points but I have a lot of hands on experience with the British red cross ambo work.
  15. tiddlyoggy

You have my deepest sympathy shippers, and if you feel so traumatised that you'd like to tell me of some of the awful things they did, don't hesitate to get in touch, it's best to share these things you know.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

It's probably wise to speak to your AFCO to clarify the UCAS requirement for graduate qualified Naval Nurses (Rating & Officer) before making your decision.

17. Yes i have been trying but she has been on holiday or away for most of this year already.. going to arange a meeting asap.
  18. sgtpepperband

Hmm, how selfish! Fancy taking leave or time off for training when you need her assistance... perhaps you should get her mobile number and give her a call right now? She'd really appreciate that... :thumbleft:
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Generally speaking, if your Careers Adviser is away in the Maldives (again) there's normally another one you may talk to for generic advice (if they aren't on the blower to Thomas Cook when you ring).