MA - Operational tours

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mutley1101, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi all, this is my first post so please dont rip me apart.

    Just a bit about me, im currently at uni and will finish may 2010. I have already started to apply for MA in the senior service, and have my phsycometric tests on friday. I am currently serving in the TA (infantry and a qualified PTI)

    Basically I believe that MA is the best option for myself as im colour blind and this is one of the only options open to me.

    I have been told by a few naval mates that if i go MA i can serve in Afgan and Iraq, however how likely is this, can i volunteer?

    Also how much Sea time will i get? I understand not as much as a warfare, but a guideline?

    Also...sorry....would i eventually, if i wanted to be able to go officer? even though Im not a trianed GP / Doctor?

    Thanks...i look forward to the helpful comments AND the banter (or abuse)
  2. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Welcome to the site.

    MA currently has an 8 month waiting list to join. (Very recently it was 24 months!)

    You can volunteer to serve operationally attached to 3 Commando Brigade- in fact you canm undertake All Arms Commando Course & be attached to 3 Cdo throughout yopur career as an RN Commando.

    You can anticipate a sea draft at each promotional rate, providing you do not opt to follow the RN Commando route. Each draft is usually around 4 years long unless you have professional courses to attend or are promoted during a draft.

    You may apply to become an Officer later in your career after you complete training providing you have a minimum of 5 GCSE's including Maths & English. With regard spercialisations available to you, it depends on your academic qualifications at the time & which branches are open to you.
  3. fantastic thanks...

    If i served with the RMcdos without doing the AACC, would i still be allowed to go out on patrols? and if i did get my green lid would i then stay with the RM's or would i still be able to go back to general service?

    thanks again
  4. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    My understanding is that you can request a drafting preference away from the Corps should you so wish, after your Return of Service for completing AACC.

    You would serve "on the ground" with the Royal Marines, yes, but usually only when AACC trained on operation tours. You could also consider joining the Royal Marines from the outset as a Commando then specialising as a RM Medical Assistant (same MA course as RN) later in your career. This way you get to sneak up, stab & strangle people in your earlier career years, then sneak up & fix them in your later service years. (There's nothing scarier than suddenly waking up in the middle of the night to find an aspirin "sticking-plastered" to a 'hurtie' on your knee that wasn't there when you fell asleep.)
  5. Colour blind eh? I never could stand the sight of blood myself all that green stuff everywhere :drunken:
  6. As Ninja has said, as an MA you can submit a preference to serve with RMs, you do not need to be Cdo trained to do this, although if you have the aptitude to pass the AACC then you can do so. Female MAs were on Al Faw during the initial invasion of Iraq

    It was due to a shortage of RN MAs who have passed Commando course that they created the RM MA SQ where Marines went and did the RN MA course. I'm pretty sure that in recent times if you were a male MA you would go one of two ways - Cdo or SM. I know an MA who was sent non-preference direct to CTC on completion of MA course.

    Regarding sea service - I know an RN POMA who has spent his entire front line career with the RM, his only time on ships has been as part of the EMF. I also know an RM MA who transferred to RN and has followed the GS MA route to PO serving on at least 2 ships.

    Promotion to officer - you have 2 options, age up to 26 you can go Upper Yardman - 5 GCSEs required and you can be Warfare or Logs, if you have a degree (subject dependant) then Engineering, E(TM) or E(IS) may be an option. If you are over 26 then you can go Senior Upper Yardman once you are a Senior Rate with 4 GCSEs - Warfare, Logs or Medical Services (MS only recruits from medical branch SRs)
  7. I know from asking earlier on in the year that an MA(SM) can UY to a Health Physics Officer or Medical Admin Officer. MAO is more paperwork orientated than clinical though and Obviously Health physics side does what it says on the tin!

    Got the information from talking to a POMA.

    My two cents.

  8. Thanks so far, been very helpful

    Just another quick one, sorry, I have my physometric tests on friday, is it best to wear a suit and look smart and keen, or will this be over the top? thanks
  9. janner

    janner War Hero Book Reviewer

    Smart never hurt anyones interview.

    Be warned it is possible to be an MA and only ever get to sea on the Gosport ferry :lol:
  10. Without wanting to seem protectionist, an MA who gets Commissioned is not granted a medical degree! To be a medical officer / doctor, you need to go to university and read medicine. It's not a case of "time served".

    Having said that, there are plenty of jobs open to MAs who choose to go for a Commission.

Share This Page