MA - GS OR Submariner ??

IndyMcQ

Hello , I wanted to know what some of the experienced persons here thought about pros/cons of either MA GS or MA Submariner.

Firstly , I am only at the stage of having just passed my RT today . Now awaiting eye test ready to send my medical papers back .
I am 24yoa, currently employed in the ambulance service as an ECA and have now decided to take the jump to begin a career within the RN . Mainly due to a lack of prospects in civvy street with my service moving into the direction of recruiting shiney new bachelor degree paramedics straight our of uni rather than providing training for existing staff . There are multiple amount of factors that have caused this , but all relate to politics .

I digress , I have been researching the submariner role of medical assistant against that of medical assistant in general service.
Although todays RT also included a quick chat with a Leading hand submariner , who had been around whilst we where waiting for our results.

He has swayed me towards Submariner , here's why.

1. Im married as of last year, no children. He says that he gets shorter deployments. More advance warning . Tending to know most of his deployments 3 years in advance. (Surely this would suit family life , slightly better. )
  2. Enhanced pay - He described the "golden hello" , increased daily submariner rate - wether at sea or not , alongside allowances - for food and hotels as there not able to accommodate you on board when alongside. (all this would help as I would be taking a significant pay drop to join)
  3. Fewer choices of base - ie less likely of being moved from one pillar to another. ( two of the submarine bases are currently a my side of the UK , one of which 30 minutes away the other where i was originally born as a result of a PO on a night out in pompey :oops:)
  4. More transferable skills into civvy street on resettlement - i.e nuclear monitoring etc etc
The key points for me joining are : ability to progress - ie promotion, new challenges - both educational and otherwise, travel , serve the country , earn good money as years go on , be a role model for any potential children . Not regretting , not joining.

so the actual question is , does anyone disagree with anything above ? Is there any negatives I should be taking into account about going MA Submariner ?

Thanks in advance.

I

WreckerL

War Hero
There are at least two MA's at sea on an SSN, they are also planesman. A MA(SM) also does all the Health Physics onboard as well as atmosphere monitoring, so more quals than a MA(GS).

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Is there any negatives I should be taking into account about going MA Submariner ?

I
1. No runs ashore, at least no decent runs ashore.
2. No fresh air
3. No sundowners
4. You'll smell.
5. You can't go for a bimble around the upper scupper.
6. You'll look like Casper the friendly ghost when you return from your 'short' deployment.
7. No sunshine. (apart from instant)
8. If you're of that persuasion, you can phone the wife when in range
I could continue......

Edited to please Wrecks :)

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
2. No fresh air
3. No sundowners
4. You'll smell.
5. You can't go for a bimble around the upper scupper and phone the wife when in range.
6. You'll look like Casper the friendly ghost when you return from your 'short' deployment.
I could continue......
That's a positive, not a negative

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
That's a positive, not a negative
I thought I would amalgamate 2 points there!
I thought that as the OP stated that he was married, he might appreciate the fact the you can phone home when close to land. :). I'll change it!

Sumo

War Hero
2. No fresh air
3. No sundowners
4. You'll smell.
5. You can't go for a bimble around the upper scupper.
8. If you're of that persuasion, you can phone the wife when in range
I could continue......

Edited to please Wrecks:)
1.we walk out of hotels and spend our subbies
2. MA job to monitor and keep fresh
3. No skin cancer
4. You will not notice
5. Occasionally go in the mast well on the roof
6. Refer to 3.
7. Refer to 3
8. Phoning home more than every 3 months is an over kill.
Pays not to bad
I did 12yrs skimmers & 12 boats enjoyed both, professionally it would be boats.

Last edited: