MA from SA (I can rhyme huuuuurr)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MikeCharlie, Nov 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I'm a firefighter/ILS Medic from Johannesburg, SA. I'm trying to find out how feasible it would be to enlist as an MA, perhaps with an eye towards working towards AACC. I hold dual SA/Brit citizenship through my dad, although I think I may need to renew my passport. I posted a similar question on ARRSE but from what I've read the RN route sounds more what I'm looking for.

I have 7 IGCSEs and 4 HIGCSEs (Roughly equivalent to AS if I'm not mistaken. ) But I can't remember my scores off the top of my head. As I mentioned I also hold certification and registration as an Ambulance Emergency Assistant with the HPCSA and assorted firefighting, HAZMAT and rescue qualifications...

Would it be feasible to sign up? Are there openings for MAs? Would my experience help at all?

Sorry if my grammar is a bit mongish, I'm typing this on my phone at work.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hi, welcome

As long as you hold a Brit passport, besides any other, on grounds of Nationality you are eligible & a residency waiver can be applied.

If you want a green beret as first priority, the only assured route is to join the Royal Marines, with perhaps a view to becoming a Medical Assistant, Royal Marines. (Same MA course)

If you primarily wish to become a Medical Assistant, go for RN MA with a view to perhaps undergoing AACC at a later point. Be aware RN MA has a waiting time of over 18 months from test to entry.

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hi Ninja. Thanks for the fast reply. I didn't even know the RM had separate MAs. Is there somewhere I could find out a bit more about that?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

5. Welcome, MC.

How old are you?
  6. Thanks for all the replies so far. Will read that all when I get off shift. Hi Soleil, I'm 20 at the moment.