MA - Afghan

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nutters, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Hope this finds you well :D . Im just curios as to after trianing completly as a MA, would it be possible to go straight out to Helmand? if so what would i have to do to get my name down? volunteer or would i be sent straight away anyway?

im pretty keen, as a serving TA infantry man, all my mates have been and i have plenty of exerience with patrolling and that, would that take this into consideration when deciding on who to deploy?

cheers

Nuts

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nuts,

Maybe deploy with the TA? They are, after all, boosting up the regular battalions are they not? One word of warning though fella, it 'aint all Band of Brothers. Be careful what you wish for. Good luck though.

3. thanks for that blackrat...however i have decided to do the right thing and join the senior service so therefore deployment with the TA is not really an option now, as i join in feb and still have uni to finish!

4. No offence mate but i have been there four times and its not pretty. As the others has mentioned be careful what you wish for. Yes it is a experience as like any first op is but the reality is that its not nice, and hard graft.

5. He sounds like another young spunker eager to take on and attempt to 'brass up' Terry Taliban.

As others have said mate, be careful what you wish for and this is not COD4 you will be playing.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nuts,

Lots of wisdom being passed your way mate. It's a fact that if you join up, there is a strong possibility that you will go to war these days. If it's part of your posting, then there is not much you can do about it. Do the training and go out and do your job. Don't go looking for it if you don't have to. You're life will be altered forever and you won't be the same. This sort of thing is not a game and should be approached with caution.

"They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm"

As i've said, the chances of you going out there will be high in any event. (I presume this is the case for the Andrew? I know the Booties are always there and have had some hellish tours)

That said, i do wish you all the best with your career.