M&S

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've put this in Lil's so we can go weapons free.

Believe it or not, I'm not usually a Mr Angry, however I've been to the M&S FaceAche account and posted this:

M&S - if it is true that you are selling globes with a) The Falklands wrongly named the Malvinas and b) the capital as being Puerto Argentino then you should be DEEPLY ashamed of yourselves. This is an affront to the Islanders and all the British Forces personnel who died or suffered horrendous injuries during the conflict. Have a word with whoever sanctioned this and get them to do the honourable thing.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Seemingly on that there interweb thing a lot of people have felt the same and sent messages. Not a lot have had a response.......

If I was a M&S shopper I'd never darken their door again, rant, rant etc.

Except I would, 'cos I love the Food Hall!

huwshpis

War Hero
Ah - the good old Plessey / Ferranti reset! Never known to fail!
I beg to differ. A long time ago, in a pusser’s grey and red-brick stone frigate, I was building and testing analogue to digital and digital to analogue converters using a Ferranti design, Ferranti chips and one or two extra bits from the Elmers. Not all Ferranti resets worked on those bits of kit and doing a stability test by leaving the circuit to run while I went to lunch gave me some deep-fried Ferranti chips.

Sumo

War Hero
I beg to differ. A long time ago, in a pusser’s grey and red-brick stone frigate, I was building and testing analogue to digital and digital to analogue converters using a Ferranti design, Ferranti chips and one or two extra bits from the Elmers. Not all Ferranti resets worked on those bits of kit and doing a stability test by leaving the circuit to run while I went to lunch gave me some deep-fried Ferranti chips.
Twas amazing how much they ripped pusser off for the crap they delivered.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Being a wise and Proud Jock I'm sure you have considered investing in and cornering the market with these Items - Time will come when these are worth a fortune within the Argentinian Ermm, Globe-trotting Community...

BTW - How many of 'em did you say that you ordered?
Wise, proud and Jock yes, but not daft enough to invest in foibles that only Karcher and Co would like - and they are effectively bankrupt.

As Duncan Bannatyne , another wise Jock, might say 'I'm out'.

I'll stick with investing in the Food Hall.

Taztiff

War Hero
Twas amazing how much they ripped pusser off for the crap they delivered.
Until the Type 23 command system failure. Ferranti wanted to give us another big and expensive mainframe to drive everything when PC's were becoming more powerful and flexible.
The modularity and network comms of the Type 23 systems was such that each sensor / weapon could work independently without a Command System - of course, having one made it easier for Command to fight the ship.
Yes - without a command system we were 'restricted' in our capability but that meant 3 trips to the States for trials in 2 1/2 years including a 9 month Royal Guard-ship / WIGS / Pacific / Canada for Commonwealth Games trip instead of going to the Gulf
:D

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
As did BAE who continue to sell us donkeys and our politicos are corrupt enough to keep buying them.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I've said this before.

Having worked for Big And Expensive on the T45 Project, a LOT of the additional costs were due to 'young thrusters' getting their bum on a seat in Scabby Wood, then setting about changing things in the design that were already set in stone.

'Why don't we do it this way...'? Well, that involves numerous meetings, assessment inquiries, re-doing CAD models, talking to suppliers and getting THEM to change stuff etc. This all costs time and money. And none of that comes free. Some stuff DOES emerge due to the time taken to do the design and this is also why the first and last ship of a class have several differences. The customer is responsible for proposing alterations to the design.

Hence a lot of the time and cost over-runs. It was a real eye opener for this old chief. Of course it then gets picked up by the Press (and really silly old farts on RN FB sites!) who write uninformed stories.

Any shipbuilder, much like your domestic builder, gets a set of drawings and does what they are told. 'Ah, Mr builder, I know you're nearly finished, but could you just pop a new window in over there'. Would you HONESTLY expect him to say 'No probs Guv' and do it immediately and for free?

And before anyone mentions the engines - find out who wrote the spec and who made them...... pretty sure it wasn't BAE. The weapon system was contracted YEARS before during Euro Frigate / Project Horizon. Most people wanted the USN VLS 41 silos for T45, but were hamstrung. However, there is infrastructure in place to adopt VLS 41 in the future if needed/wanted. Not quite FFBNW, but close.

BAE like any huge company is not perfect, but a lot of fault lies with Civil Servants and, as mentioned, politicos.

Sumo

War Hero
@SONAR-BENDER for the CVF contract they deliberately brought in an outside CEO type, as their IPT leader, to run the silly servants, he scared the crap out of some of them. things like we had 1 month to return comments, they had 3 months, he changed it to a month either way.
I would get some Senior CS or gold rings asking for requirement creep, I knew they had no budgets for what they ask, so my normal comment was, can you put that in writing so we can have it formally costed and passed to your IPT team for review, never had one written request, plus they stopped coming to my meets when they found out I was an retired CPOWEA SM.
Initially I was on the Thales team working for BMT, then after down select we became BAE team, anther big waste I saw was BAE appeared to have a team that ended up at the front end of big projects, almost following a set plan they had already written for other projects, change project name, crank the handle out came reports (crap reports, all agreed with MOD)) which then required the next team to take time and effort to put right.

Latest Threads