Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Lynx Yellow Veil

Wookie42

Midshipman
I'm in the process of building a model of my old cab, XZ733, when I was Flight Commander of BRAVE Flight in 1991. I know all of the extra kit we had and I know where most of it went, but despite having been the principal Yellow Veil instructor at Portland for 2 years prior to joining BRAVE Flt, I cannot for the life of me remember where NSM 3179, the Tektronix Spectrum Analyser and associated control computer fitted in the cabin. And foolishly I never took any interior photos at the time (in fairness it was probably classified back then). I wonder if any ex-Lynx aircrew or maintainers can remember or better still have any images they could share? I know it was between the Observer's legs in the earlier Hampton Mayfair and initial Yellow Veil 1, but by the time we got to the enhanced pod it was all moved to the back. Thanks in anticipation

Should have stuck with Wasps!! They had sod all technical. I've only about 30 hours on Lynx and that was mainly the Mk99 export version. Now I do have a Bendix AQS 18(V) manual in the loft. (But don't tell the Yanks DoD).

Can't remember if we have any Lynx bods on here?

I'm in the process of building a model of my old cab, XZ733, when I was Flight Commander of BRAVE Flight in 1991. I know all of the extra kit we had and I know where most of it went, but despite having been the principal Yellow Veil instructor at Portland for 2 years prior to joining BRAVE Flt, I cannot for the life of me remember where NSM 3179, the Tektronix Spectrum Analyser and associated control computer fitted in the cabin. And foolishly I never took any interior photos at the time (in fairness it was probably classified back then). I wonder if any ex-Lynx aircrew or maintainers can remember or better still have any images they could share? I know it was between the Observer's legs in the earlier Hampton Mayfair and initial Yellow Veil 1, but by the time we got to the enhanced pod it was all moved to the back. Thanks in anticipation
Serious answer. Have you tried any of the modelling sites. 'Scale Model Forums' and the like. They tend to have a few ex everything on them, may have a ex Lynx chap or even a spotter who is simply seriously clued up on the subject!!

Serious answer. Have you tried any of the modelling sites. 'Scale Model Forums' and the like. They tend to have a few ex everything on them, may have a ex Lynx chap or even a spotter who is simply seriously clued up on the subject!!
Bit about Airfix's new Sea King. Interesting how they designed it and relevant about forums.

Bit about Airfix's new Sea King. Interesting how they designed it and relevant about forums.
Saw that. I know a few ex crabs who are pissed it’s all naval!!!
Looks a good kit, not bad price either!!

Tempted to get one of them for my eldest as a chrimbo prezzy, he was on 771 for a while before going to 849.

Did Damien (XV666) have a little devil picture under the cockpit window?

I can remember a little painting of an Arch Bishop under the cockpit window of side number 22. That cab was known as Desmond.

Nah, I'll make it and re-live my youth making Airfix models, local hardware shop sells all the Humbrol paints.
Humbrol paints - Oh how last year!! Moved on a bit matey!!!! All acrylics and airbrushes these days. (As I found out). Recently taken it up again after a 40 year lay off. Keeps me out the way when SWIMBO starts inventing jobs!!
This is my first kit after 40 odd years like I said. Airfix's 1/72 crab air jobby.
A variation of Mig and Vallejo acrylic paints airbrushed on finishing off with a smattering of dirt to simulate the oily things they are!!! Cockpit windows are quite gash but hey!!! It's been a while!!IMG_0743.JPG

Humbrol paints - Oh how last year!! Moved on a bit matey!!!! All acrylics and airbrushes these days. (As I found out). Recently taken it up again after a 40 year lay off. Keeps me out the way when SWIMBO starts inventing jobs!!
This is my first kit after 40 odd years like I said. Airfix's 1/72 crab air jobby.
A variation of Mig and Vallejo acrylic paints airbrushed on finishing off with a smattering of dirt to simulate the oily things they are!!! Cockpit windows are quite gash but hey!!! It's been a while!!View attachment 73234
Hand painted are more fun though.

That was my first start. There are three of us on Britmodeller who all flew Lynx. One pongo and two matelots. But none of us can remember where the spectrum analyser was fitted. Annoyingly, it's not even in the Aircrew Manual and I had release approval on that for 3 years but let it go out without!

Given your background, thought you might be interested in this. It's a modification of the very old Fujimi 1/48 kit with extensive scratchbuilding.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 17

Latest Threads