Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lynx Wildcat

Waspie

War Hero
scouse said:
WhizzbangDai said:
Thats the bunny.

MM, forgive which may sound a stupid quesiton, but why is it being too close to Merlin that bad? It's smaller, more Puma sized, than the Merlin - which is 6 metres longer? And its only a little bigger than Lynx - 1m longer and taller. Greater capability than Lynx, while not stepping size wise on Merlin? Or is it something else I have (very likely) missed?
:wink: :wink: Wouldnt you prefer this bunny??? :wink: http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/50261-01(1).jpg

Too vulnerable to all American Hero's. I mean if John Rambo can shoot one down - well!!!!!!!

onlinebacon

Lantern Swinger
Waspie said:
onlinebacon said:
Hmm, so the new engines that are supposed to be better makes it slower?

Surely that would mean it would have less power... and then be able to carry less?

I'm probably wrong... could someone enlighten me?

In aviation, all things are a trade off. Yes it is quoted as having more power, but it's needed to lift more weight, (weapons/armament). As a consequence speed has suffered, but endurance has increased.

Like I said a trade off.

Ah cheers, I think I understand, so to put it in a kind of car analogie it would be like more low range pulling power in a land rover compared to a top speed lambo with the same kind of engine size?

Waspie

War Hero
onlinebacon said:
Waspie said:
onlinebacon said:
Hmm, so the new engines that are supposed to be better makes it slower?

Surely that would mean it would have less power... and then be able to carry less?

I'm probably wrong... could someone enlighten me?

In aviation, all things are a trade off. Yes it is quoted as having more power, but it's needed to lift more weight, (weapons/armament). As a consequence speed has suffered, but endurance has increased.

Like I said a trade off.

Ah cheers, I think I understand, so to put it in a kind of car analogie it would be like more low range pulling power in a land rover compared to a top speed lambo with the same kind of engine size?

Basically - Yes.

Magic_Mushroom

War Hero
WhizzbangDai said:
MM, forgive which may sound a stupid quesiton, but why is it being too close to Merlin that bad? It's smaller, more Puma sized, than the Merlin - which is 6 metres longer? And its only a little bigger than Lynx - 1m longer and taller. Greater capability than Lynx, while not stepping size wise on Merlin? Or is it something else I have (very likely) missed?

Capability wise it falls almost exactly half way between Wildcat and Merlin which makes it very difficult to sell to the Treasury as they look at it as neither one thing nor another.

Remember that Wildcat is a programme attempting to meet the requirements of both the Army recce/utility and RN small ship roles. Ironically, it would better fit the Army’s utility needs but NH90 would be far too large for the recce task and arguably too capable for RN small ship tasks. The AAC recce role in particular would need another type to be considered, or greater Apache hrs employed (which is quite pricey to operate) which just will not happen.

FLynx will, I suspect be ideal for RN small ship tasks but far from suited to either of the Army’s requirements and they appear far from impressed. The cost of Wildcat also appears very poor value for money when compared to off the shelf options such as SH-60 or KA-27.

Unfortunately, in the real world neither of those options are good for Wastelands.

Regards,
MM

Right, this quote from the Navy News has me confused:

"The Wildcat is slightly slower than its predecessor (a top speed of 184mph rather than 200mph), but its more powerful engines means it can carry a heavier load and it has one third as much range".

Surely that should read has a third more range as that sentence would suggest that it's range has reduced by 2/3?

Fcuking mong NN, can we bin it and get the bods from soldier to write our mag?

chockhead819

War Hero
whatever happened to us buying blackhawks the junglies must be well past retirement age - probable answer is it would close westlands

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
I believe that these aren't anything to do with SeaKing, and Blackhawks would be too small to replace Seaking's. I'd back Merlin for that.

Although, thats a good point, would 847 be getting these FLynx's to replace their AH9's?

Waspie

War Hero
The article quotes 'cut price'.

Is that Thales 'out' for when it doesn't meet it's service date or fails to function as advertised!!!!!! :?

scouse

War Hero
The system will also be offered with a family of warheads to provide maximum effect against the wide target set out to ranges of around 8km. Initially the missile will be offered with laser beam riding guidance but there will also be a semi active laser (SAL) variant. :wink: :wink: ASI2 range 5.5km in the 70s so not a lot of improvement their, from those bad old days :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil W Daily Press: "Wildcat Helicopter Replacing RN's Lynx Passes First Major Test" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil Ag. Westland: 2nd AW159 Lynx Wildcat Makes Its First Flight The Fleet Air Arm 6
WhizzbangDai We get Lynx Wildcat. Yanks get this. [email protected] The Fleet Air Arm 12
K Red painted Lynx - 1990 The Fleet Air Arm 8
Trainer Lynx Mark 8 Farewell Flypast Current Affairs 25
Stirlin Bye bye to Lynx. The Fleet Air Arm 21
K Lynx ID required The Corps 2
A Lynx Aircraft Carcinogenic? Health & Fitness 8
soleil Mail: "RN Lynx Helicopters Came Within 50ft Of Crashing At 92 mph" The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: UK Lynx flight completes French warship deployment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy Lynx hunts pirates from French frigate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy Lynx aids capture of suspected pirates MoD News 0
scouse Two Lynx Overhead The Fleet Air Arm 2
trelawney126 Ordering Spares for the Lynx The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Navy News: "Lynx Pairing Helps Dauntless Pass Another Milestone" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: "Lynx Flies The Atlantic" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil British Forces News: "Last Lynx Mk3 Disembarks" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil Navy News: "First Lynx Receives A Makeover" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: 2011 Yeovilton Air Day, 9th July 2011, Celebrates Lynx Milestone The Fleet Air Arm 18
scouse Dutch Lynx Crew Captured The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil ThisIsSomerset: "Lynx Effect Sparked Love Of Helicopters" The Fleet Air Arm 0
scouse Spotted 2 Lynx overhead?? The Fleet Air Arm 7
Powder Whats up with all the recent Lynx MK7 movement? The Fleet Air Arm 2
trelawney126 LYNX Downbird, All Safe The Fleet Air Arm 12
JamesH Glasgow's lynx The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Trial Aftershock 5: Lynx + Sea Skua The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil RN Lynx visits Oswestry school The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Black Cats' Lynx suffers cracked screen The Fleet Air Arm 6
MustangTC Sea Harrier FA2 and Lynx Mk7 The Fleet Air Arm 32
Danny86 Need AET help! Junglie? Harrier? Lynx? Merlin? Anything!?!? The Fleet Air Arm 14
T Real question here -Seaking mk 6, Lynx mk 8 or Harrier?? The Fleet Air Arm 22
H Lynx or Merlin Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
S Super Lynx! The Fleet Air Arm 13
C The Lynx Crew - Home Current Affairs 13
MoD_RSS News story: Apache and Wildcat to touch down in Estonia as UK bolsters its commitment to NATO MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £271M Wildcat Helicopter support deal sustains 500 UK jobs MoD News 0
soleil Construction Enquirer: "Carillion Takes First Job In £100m MoD Wildcat Revamp" The Fleet Air Arm 0
T Navy Wildcat trains on Argus The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Telegraph: "Jaguar F-type Versus Wildcat Helicopter" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil S Wales Evening Post: "RN Wildcat Helicopter To Appear At Wales National Air Show" The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Scotsman: "Anti-Pirate Wildcat Helicopter Unveiled By Royal Navy" The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil BFBS: "First Wildcat Unveiled For Army And Navy" The Fleet Air Arm 6
MoD_RSS Wildcat begins sea trials with Iron Duke Current Affairs 0
soleil Navy News: "Wildcat Roars Into Portsmouth For The First Time" The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Navy's new Wildcat makes first landing at sea Current Affairs 0
soleil Navy News: "Wildcat Makes Its Debut At Sea" The Fleet Air Arm 1
docherty wildcat taks the first test flight The Fleet Air Arm 22