LYNX Downbird, All Safe

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by trelawney126, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are specific rules for low flying. Wire surveys to be carried out prior to such training sorties etc.

Smacks of piss poor airmanship.

2. Last time this happened was a Tornado in Germany apparently the maps for the aircraft had not been updated adding the new power lines. Two dead!!!!!

3. Can't speak for now, but when I flew, a wire survey had to be flown for the chosen route 30 days prior to aircraft/Helo's flying low level sorties. Wires and masts would be added to the maps and these would be used to update the master planner at the airfields operations.

Norway and Germany are notoriously bad for wire strikes as their environmentalists are big into camouflaging wires to blend with the surrounding land.

819 used to routinely recce the route between Glasgow and the East coast in case of SAR in bad weather forcing the aircraft to fly very low level.

This Lynx was down purely to bad airmanship on behalf of the aircrew. Poor lookout, poor planning. (tempted to add f**kin officers). Wouldn't have happened with rating aircrew! :wink:

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Oh well, not like the Woos to find an excuse to go weekenders on a Thursday.

Lucky it was so close to home, eh?

5. Was in 848 AMCO when they piped for 815's AEO at scran time then CDR Air 10 minutes later. We all just looked at each other and knew something had happened just lucky they got out alive.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, the Renault Team recounted a similar story when Nelson Piquet Jnr crashed at the Singapore Grand Prix. :wink:

7. Not like the Cnut of a SMR on our flight when our Parrafin Pidgeon went down. He only ran and got the A700 to see if everything was correctly signed up!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

8. So the rating aircrew would have seen the cables, rather than the grunters!!
    Yeah, we should camo wires with the countryside but, lets put the changes on the charts!

9. plyons mean electricity cables, simple really, Bad drills one think's.

10. What I'm saying from experience!!!

Aircrewman would have briefed and conducted the sortie with up to date wire charts added to their own maps as is the SOP for a low level sortie!!!

Having done it more than a few times I feel qualified to comment - are you?

11. Having spent most of my flying time low level, it doesn't matter what rank you are. I've seen very experienced crewmen get it wrong.

As to wire surveys, wires can be missed by even the most observant wire recce, bear in mind this is VL's playground so chances of that are slim. Pretty good chance they may have wandered off course then made the map fit the terrain and gone the wrong way...

There but for the Grace of god...etc!

12. That brings back bad Memories,off my time as an aircrewman Re making the map fitting the terrain :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: