Lynx Aircraft Carcinogenic?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by afclfc, Jun 14, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

I'm hoping for a bit of advice...

I'm wondering if any ex/or currently serving WAFU's are aware of known carcinogenic substances linked to the Lynx or Seaking aircrafts. I lost my father recently to a form of Lymphoma aged 56. He retired as an PO(AEM). Working mainly on Lynx and Sea Kings (various Mks). His service ran from 1976-1998. I'm interested mainly in the Lynx as a large amount of his ex navy AEM mates have contracted the same illness. I also work with ex-Army Air Core maintainers who worked on the Army variant Lynx, a number of these have also contracted lymphoma. A rare coincidence maybe?

I'm not interested in the "blame" culture or after a legal battle. Far from it, just if anyone is aware of this coincidence or any answer as to why this might be happening?

Thank you for your time.

2. The RN used to use WD40 for cab wipes, however it was found to be carcinogenic. The navy subsequently changed to PX24. However I can't remember the date of the change.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

4. Thank you for the swift response.

I imagine there's all sort of oils and greases used back in the day that contain many nasties! Let's just hope PX24 doesn't contain any otherwise that's us all screwed!

I know his consultant oncologist was interested in the Lynx as there's quite a trend developing with ex-navy AEMs

Again thank you for the advice.
  5. Trichloroethylene or Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) were particualr favourites during my Sea King days, also a weekly bath in PX24 during cab wipes was the norm.
  6. Use to use trikes by the gallon for cleaning DC motors out, when it got binned Ardrox was used, which was also found to be carcinogenic. I can't remember what we used after that, must be all the carcinogens rattling around in my swad!:confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I knew my come in handy stores book would be of use one day. Tric was replaced by Penetone TPC NSN 6850-99-230-1110 in 5 litre drums.

Out of interest Trichloroethane Technical 18 oz aerosol NS Cat No 0473/224-0565 or Trichloroethane Technical 25 litre drum NS Cat No 0473/220-1949

From BR2000(52)
    Oil Deposits. May be removed by:

(1) Hot water and detergent wash. Teepol is the most suitable detergent, the temperature of the water should be 50 to 55°C. Application is by immersion, spray or by brush/cloth.

(2) Organic solvent such as trichloroethane or penetone TPC, when the precautions detailed in Art 0106 and BR 2000(20) Art 0906 should be followed. It should be noted that trichloroethane should not be used on certain insulators and the reactions must be checked before use.
  8. When Tric and the other Halocarbons were banned under the Montreal Protocol on Ozone depleting substances, the replacement cold degreaser was Arrow Chemical's Lotoxane, in 400ml tins, NSN 6850-99-179-9802. The Safety Data Sheet warned of avoiding skin contact and directed good ventilation but no hint of it being carcinogenic.
  9. WADPOL , is that still used ? , was it just heavy cotton wool laced with Bluebell ? , much easier to use than Bluebell and a rag. Went through tin after tin polishing the G6 covers for FOF 1 inspection on Fife.