Lying to Parliament a Criminal Offence Law

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Jul 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. I agree Trelawney when the House of commons has freed itself from members making misleading statements or telling outright lies they can start on members of the public who are called before them.I think we're in for a long wait.
  2. Fat chance agreed - Covered by Parliamentary Privilege:

<<...There is no immunity from arrest on criminal grounds, nor does the civil privilege entirely extend to the devolved administrations in Scotland or Wales. A consequence of the privilege of free speech is that legislators in Westminster systems are forbidden by conventions of their House from uttering certain words, or implying that another member is lying...>> Wiki

Ergo any MP can lie through their teeth in the safe and certain knowledge that their fellow MPs are forbidden from even 'implying that another member is lying'.

Safe as houses (of Parliament :wink: )
  3. I wonder what the "certain words" are that they can't utter. "I'm sorry" or "I was wrong" or even "yes, I did fiddle my expenses" must be high on the list.
  4. I watched a debate in the Common House a month or so ago whereby one minister accused another of lying. The speaker allowed it to stand as the recipient of the lying comment was in the house to defend himself.

Here, we have had proof that a (now ex) minister lying in Government (by forgetting his 'script') and it appears nothing is going to be done about it. The fact that the Chief of Police was suspended on this lie is neither here not there.
  5. Mr Bercow, the current speaker, is incapable of differentiating between "term illogical inexactitudes" and the truth. Shows disdain at the expenses scandal and then spends £1300 on a shower curtain. Why would you want a privacy screen in your bathroom if you cohabit with the darling Sally. She's no bag probably a bit slack since her gypsy tryst though
  6. I've been told that anyone uttering the name "Voldemort" will cause The House to fall into a series of hushed whispers and mutterings.

Any MP who says "Jehovah" will be stoned to death.
  7. I heard, from a friend of a friend who once knew an MP (though on reflection I think that may have been a Military Policeman rather than a Member of Parliament) that the word you should never use in Parliament is ....... bugger, what was that word again, it was on the tip of my tongue when I started writing this