Lusty on the one show live

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by scouse, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One show from HMS Illustrious BBC 1 now and flypast

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes watching, and good to see the interest.

3. String bag, Sea King Lynx and two Merlins......I say Winkle Brown ...what a gent!!!

4. Outstanding old warrior, lucid, and obviously very proud, as he should be. Nice touch the PBY flying over as well.

5. The One Show were good as gold when they were down with us for the Olympic torch too. Someone on there must like us.

6. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Good PR for the RN/RM.

7. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

About time we had a bit more PR. Very good to see.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

8. And Dan Snow explained the difference between the Union Jack and the Union Flag, hope the Sun and other redtops took note.

9. You didn't say that when he gave you 14 days 9s:clap:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I deserved it lol

11. That was a great show tonight. Also HMS Scott is docked in Swansea. On the BBC website it stats that she is open to the public on Saturday. Any ideas how I would get a tour, silly question maybe but not sure if I can just turn up.

12. Erm Scouse.... Please tell me your eyesight isn't getting that bad? By my count there was one stringbag (may it fly forever) 1 Lynx, 1 merlin, 1 sea king 5 and 1 sea king 4. We haven't quite got control of the merlin 3 yet. Although when Dan Snow mentioned the orange and grey Sea King like the sort flown by Prince William I could understand the confusion.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Really good to see some positive PR.

There must be nearly as many matelots that are currently in the Navy (34,000 ish), that like me, once served on Lusty. It'll be very sad to see her go.

I particularly appreciated the very 'pro Navy' commentary with regard the number of manpower and ships, but thought it interesting the Captain thought the service was sufficiently sized to undertake its current tasking, with no mention of its limitations with regard operational capability, Somalia being just one case in point. Then again, if we drip at every opportunity, the opportunities to argue our case diminish. The current length of ratings sea drafts and operational tempo cause significant retention issues with the common complaint being "all work, no play". That said, I've no doubt the current ships company will be having an excellent run ashore in the capital.

All in all, good stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  14. The incredible Eric 'Winkle' Brown CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS has been interviewed on several occasions during the past week but it was especially good to see him on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Glad I made the effort to head down to Greenwich last night, especially as I bumped into three WAFU reservists there to chew the cud.

FP

16. Overhead the Smoke and holding

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. ............................Shame that dozy bint Alex didn't know the difference between sunrise and sunset, still she is welsh and probably has other talents!

18. Same string bag but on a sad day

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. You can. Just turn up. SOTV is from 11 till 4; as crowds usually flock to these events, try to get there early.

20. With regard to the flypast, I found myself in a slightly strange situation.

I was down on the Thames at that point, very close to where HMS Edinburgh currently is, but on the Tower side.

Some 5 minutes before it was due, a family came to get closer to the Thames and the Bridge and I heard the children asking about the two ships they could see on the other side of the river, but their mum didn't know which ships they were. The kids were clearly very excited at seeing Tower Bridge and asked their Mum to take photos of them. As they were jostling with each other for the best position in front of the Bridge, I could see the flypast approaching in the distance behind them and, as it approached the Bridge, their Mum pointed it out to the kids, who were beside themselves with excitement. Ships to marvel at and now a plane followed by a group of helicopters flying over Tower Bridge as they were having photos taken ...

They asked their Mum why the aircraft were there, but she didn't know.

I said to one of the kids .... "umm, it's a commemoration of the Battle of the Atlantic" ... but I knew she probably wouldn't understand ...

so I switched to German and began explaining to her in a language she would be able to.

Her Mum and the other kids crowded round as I pointed out the various aircraft, explained the different roles of the helos they could see, then told them about the programme being broadcast from Greenwich. I told them about the two ships they had admired, HMS Belfast and HMS Edinburgh and that the Edinburgh had come in for the commemoration.

At that point, I told them about the Evensong the previous evening at St Paul's and that some of the people there had lost family members during the Battle Of the Atlantic.

It seemed a little surreal to be explaining all this in German.

Their Mum thanked me warmly afterwards for my explanation and I think that the kids appreciated it; they were just so young, though, I'm not sure that they really understood what it was all about.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 4