Lurkers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by janner, Jun 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

A few days ago I started the Falklands thread (someone else's work but I thought it would be interesting for others, so I'm using it with his permission.) This thread is averaging over 100 views a day.

Today I started the X Craft thread (material from the same source in the main), at the time of this post its had nearly 100 hits.

Come on chaps, its great that you visit the site and read things, but why not go a step further and contribute to the postings or start your own thread, the worst thing that can happen is that someone will say its crap.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 3
  2. I've read your Falklands thread @janner .
    I appreciate it as I was there, but I didn't want to comment every day as it would make me look a bit of a weirdo. I was going to let you finish; we win the war and then home for tea and medals before I made a comment. :)
    Ps I also very much enjoyed Gordon Newman's account on the X Craft thread

3. janner

I think that everyone thinks the same re posting of the Falklands thread and I agree. The point I was trying to make was that over 100 people (perhaps some more than once) have been viewing the thread (and others) but even stretching it there are only about a dozen posting anywhere on the forum. I was hoping that it might encourage others to start threads or contribute to those already running.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm waiting to see who wins, thanks for ruining it!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. janner

He just wanted you to know he had a medal! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maybe not just the one! That's life at the sharp end for you. :)
    Cooking under fire. Maybe I'll take your advice and start a thread using that as a title! :D

7. Sorry JFH, my bad! :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. janner

I was thinking more "How I nearly passed the Cookies Course." ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. One of my gongs was for passing it. They don't give out many (apparently):D

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. The Victoria Sponge Cross? o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Is it made of Chocolate?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Trainer

The George Medallion of Lamb?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Trainer

The Distinguished Service Crust?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. My only gong was a General Service (Borneo) one, and some bugger nicked it, way back in the 60's!!
    With reference to the Falklands (not the posts on here, but from a bootneck who was there) I met said bootneck as I was travelling north one Sunday, with a stopover near Stoke. Approaching the bar a relatively young man was stood to attention at it, so I commented on his military stance.
    He explained he was down and dirty in the Falklands, and that just recently, at his son's birthday party, he burst into tears. He couldn't explain to anybody there, but he gave an explanation to me.
    It was his son's 18th birthday, which was the age of the poor Argy conscripts that were in the trenches when his company did a bayonet charge. No senior officers, no senior ranks, just young terrified kids, most of whom had been shot in the foot.
    Just like WW2, where much of the gory stuff wasn't released for publication, this was never reported in our press.

15. Trainer.
    Please stop. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Is that a Galleyantry medal ? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. @Trainer , please don't! :D
    Although, I thought my 'cooking under fire' thread would be ideal for all these chefs gallantry medals!

18. Trainer

Not the first time I've heard those words...:D

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Oh hell, another one! :D

20. Trainer

The Coronation Chicken Medal...

• Like Like x 2