lung capacity?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cracker89, Jan 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Which forms of exercise help to increase lung capacity?
    I searched on here and all i found was swimming. Any more?
    Cheers :D

2. Why do you want to increase lung capacity? People are obsessed with daft ideas like this when in reality all you need to do is more phys. It's as complicated as you want to make it - you can count every calorie in and estimate energy output, and do specific exercises - or you can use common sense and eat a dcent diet and do a decent amount of variable phys - not too much cardio or too much weights.

Ideas like 'trying to increase your lung capacity' are born from random bloggers on internet sites - concentrate on the basics and the rest will look after itself.

3. The functional residual capacity of your lungs cannot just be improved on a whim. The sorts of people with greater residual volume in their lungs are athletes who have trained over a length of time. Marathon runners in particular have a vastly increased residual volume over the layman. But the average volume of an ordinary male's lungs is perfectly adequate for doing just about anything so long as he works them bloody muscles.

4. Smoking - direct lung exercise.

5. In actual fact you want to improve the efficiency of your body's intake and utilisation of the oxygen in your lungs around your body. This is known as one's VO2 Max, and is more important than lung capacity alone.

You can work on high intensity interval training to improve your VO2 max. With regular exercise you will find it easier to push your body harder for more oxygen is bein transported to your muscles with each breath.

6. Increased lung capacity makes the vitalagraph harder to pass.

I joined Boats before it was introduced, on the old mechanical one I could blow it off the scale capacity wise, but could only managed 77% in one second (90% ? required for a pass in the submarine medical) as I had already passed my part 3 I was given the options;- discharge, skimmers or sign a waiver. I signed the waiver and collected SM pay for 21years 10 1/2 months.

I would have nevergot into boats if I had joined 6 months latter.

7. I was in the same situation. I was a volunter for boats and did want to serve, but could never pass the Vitlograph, despite (in those days!) being very fit.

I was eventually sent to the Institute of Naval Medecine, where a raft of tests were carried out on me. I was passed fit for boats, but to the end of my RN days I had to play the INM card at every medical, as I couldn't pass the Vitalograph. Though there is a cheating way to pass, but it is not consistent however.

8. Never went to INM never did wet :oops: It was the one thing Ive always wanted to do. still no one does it now :(