Lung Capacity

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Stormus, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondered if it's normal for someones lung capacity to be about 550-600 then after say 10km on a cross trainer or a run to go up to 700?
  2. you probably need to ask Katie Price :thumright:
  3. Im sure its normal mate, once youve been on a run your lungs will have stretched to possibly your maximum capacity... plus there wouldnt be a problem anyway would there? your alive lol
  4. lol thx for the comments,just curious as when i was younger i had exercise induced asthma.Hopefully though its not so much a problem now as ive trained hard for years.
  5. As long as you haven't used an inhaler for 4 years then you should be fine.

I think you're talking about your peak flow, not lung capacity. This is the maximum flow rate of air you breathe out.

Peak flow varies with height (not weight, interestingly), and should not change with activity. I don't know how tall you are so can't comment on the figures, but if you're 5'10 then you should be blowing about 600.

The problem with most people's figures is technique: you should be standing up, look up at about 45 degrees, take a deep breath in and ten out into the meter as hard and as fast as you can. Do it 3 times and take the best reading.
  6. ahh yes peak flow,im 5ft 7 so its not good if it changes that much after activity?It feels like after exercise my lungs function better and have warmed up if you no what i mean.
  7. Thus speaks the voice of experience!
  8. If it changes after activity then it's more likely due to technique than anything else. Your lungs don't "warm up". As long as you're not using inhalers (and haven't done for >=4 years) and your peak flow is ok for your height (and 550 is ok for your height), then you won't have a problem.
  9. ok thanks for the advice guys.
  10. As an aside to this I'm having to attend a lung function test due to a blip on my record as a child re: asthma. Barring exercise, keeping fit, is there anything else I should be doing in preperation or avoiding?
  11. Take up playing a wind instrument - improves the ombeshure!

Lung function tests are a bit different - that's more than peak flow. A full 'Vitalograph' involves you taking a big breath in then blowing out as hard and as fast as you can, and keep going until you have no air left in your lungs. It's pretty exhausting! The result is a graph which we can take readings from, and the shape of it determines if there is a problem.

There are other things they can check as well, but I doubt they are necessary in this case.

Again, technique is important. Stand up, take a couple of practice breaths, and keep going. The person doing the test should encourage you as it's not as easy as it sounds!
  12. Thanks for the information, my peak flow (tested it at work) is within the normal range for my height gender etc but you always worry a little about the unknown problem!
  13. Joe Crow wtf are you on about? you dont need to be forces to know about PT.. its mainly common sense and ok I didnt make any point about the asthma just was saying as long as this person is alive so what?!
  14. Pink oboe perhaps?? :thumright: :dwarf:
  15. Blue Veined Piccolo.