Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lt Commander Busted by Sun for selling his uniform on ebay

D

Deleted 493

Re: Lt Commander Busted by Sun for selling his uniform on eb

rg_mcoll said:
...yada...

I happen to know Paul Berry very well, and this has to be a load of old bollocks. 'Grasping'? Utter crap. The guy is as genuine as you can get and as professional as they come.

Please don't believe what you read, especially in the Murdoch Press.

Lever

SILVER_FOX

War Hero

Levers - thanks for backing up my earlier comments about Paul. I spoke to him after I read the posting's here and he said that it had been the worst weekend of his life.

The sad thing is that he had sought permission from the MOD beforehand to make sure that he wasn't breaking the rules. He wasn't and they gave their blessing - since he had effectively paid for his own kit. I believe the local Portsmouth? news gave him the opportunity to have a rebuttal atyle interview; this was arranged (I understand) by MOD Media Comms.

All this proves there was no story here to begin with and that the Sun lacks the integrity and professionalism to write genuine news stories about real issues which should be in the public eye.

Paul has now left the service. I'm still angry about their treatment of him and it didn't even impact on me.

BoxKickerSubs

Lantern Swinger

Jenny_Dabber said:
I know when I left, I had to hand in my No1's, DMS boots, 2 pairs of 4's and my 5's.

Do officers have the same ruling on this if so, I think this my just be a bite!

Or is my logical thinking off tracks??

The only bit of kit that is required to be handed back to Naval Stores (SLOPS) on leaving the service is your AGR. All the other stuff is disposed of due to H+S regs (skin complaints ect).

penrecon

Lantern Swinger

Reservist-Monkey said:
Since when did a 2 1/2 become a senior officer?

M(R)

I always understood that Officers up to Lt were regarded as JOs and above were Senior Officers.

But in general terms this is Journalists getting agitated about a non-issue that they don't understand (how unusual I hear you exclaim!).

RN kit is not exactly hard to come by - I have lots of stuff still in my loft! (including the all important Beret mentined by The Sun - after all if you have a Beret you can get in anywhere!)

Even if some of it is Permanent Loan type clothing, the officer concerned may have bought additional items.

War Hero

icantfly said:
Reservist-Monkey said:

M(R)

That was my first thought!

the crabs see Sqn Ldrs as Senior Officers because that's where sub-unit command comes into the equation.

The RN and the Army se Cdr/ Lt Col as the first senior officer grade, but in the context of this non-story then it helps the mindlessly sensationalist headlines.

penrecon

Lantern Swinger

rg_mcoll said:
and last night a senior security source warned: “It’s unbelievable. With a full lieutenant commander’s uniform a bad guy could simply walk in.â€

The "Senior Security Source" presumably was The Sun's security man who patrols their place at night!

I wouldn't get out af bed for £50K a year!! :thumright: :thumright:

A Lt Cdr earns less than a Chief Submariner. What an incentive to sell your birthright.

BoxKickerSubs said:
Jenny_Dabber said:
I know when I left, I had to hand in my No1's, DMS boots, 2 pairs of 4's and my 5's.

Do officers have the same ruling on this if so, I think this my just be a bite!

Or is my logical thinking off tracks??

The only bit of kit that is required to be handed back to Naval Stores (SLOPS) on leaving the service is your AGR. All the other stuff is disposed of due to H+S regs (skin complaints ect).

It used to be that all JR/SR uniform items, plus any loan items (AGR, Flight Kitbag, Steaming bats etc) was returned if you had done less than 22 years. ( Unless you were a Dusty and didn't return anything usually ;) )

As I now understand, from posts on other threads, all kit is issued on a 141 basis, does this not mean that all kit is only loaned (and therefore must still belong to Pusser) should be returned ?

tommo

War Hero
When I left the MOB in 2003 I only had to return my steaming bats, gas mask, one set of high leg boots, and a pair of overalls. I had to keep the rest of my uniform in case I got recalled within 3 years of leaving.

Still got everything I didn't have to return

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
All I had to return in 1971 was my paybook and my AGR. This had to be done at Mercury which was in Easter Leave period - right up to the last minute that level of farce that runs just underneath everything in the Navy broke surface as usual; no Gunner's Yeoman, no access to Gunner's store, so impossible return AGR, therefore paybook can't be stamped, so ???? can't 'leave' the Navy. Eventually OOD took pity on me.

As it happened I had no loan clothing (typically for an officer such things as foul weather gear, minesweeping sweater, lifebelt) as all that had been turned in when I left my last actual ship (don't need oilskins at ASWE). Had cabin sale on board before leaving. 10/- for beautifully bulled Guard boots etc. Mess undress eventually sold by Wardroom 2nd hand shop in RNB. Still have immaculate pr black gaiters, offers anyone?

rg_mcoll said:
He should be setting an example, and the jacket mentioned in the Sun article is an issue item, at the end of the day it belongs to the tax payer and should be returned to stores when you leave, not sold on to make some extra pocket money.

Mr mcoll may not be aware that many officers have their uniforms tailored at their own expense. I believe it's called standards.

Of course, what Auntie Betty giveth, Auntie Betty can taketh away but, as the man said, it will only get weighed in to the likes of Fields for peanuts in return.

None event.

Chaz

MIA

bluebellsrblue said:
I wouldn't get out af bed for £50K a year!! :thumright: :thumright:

A Lt Cdr earns less than a Chief Submariner. What an incentive to sell your birthright.

Bet you would for his pension though!

Oil_Slick

War Hero

I'd better ring up the Scum with my scoop then…

"Hello, is that the duty lie merchant?'

"Yes"

"There's a shop right outside HMS Nelson's gate were you can buy Naval uniforms"

'REALLY!"

"Yes, you can even buy an Admirals rig and just walk into the base and sail off in a Destroyer"

Did the Sun ever have the guts to print a retraction and full apology (as conspicuous as its original tawdry story) for undeservedly smearing this well-respected and long-serving officer's reputation worldwide? I would also expect them to make a substantial contribution to a Service charity of his choice although it will never be possible to undo the harm they have caused him and his family completely.

P.S. I know of several nefarious organisations like this one who, for a price, are prepared to sell anyone (even Sun reporters) a complete range of Service uniform, ideal for infiltrating naval establishments or ships. Word is that they even sell berets. Do you think I should call the security services?

penrecon

Lantern Swinger

Naval_Gazer said:
P.S. I know of several nefarious organisations like this one who, for a price, are prepared to sell anyone (even Sun reporters) a complete range of Service uniform, ideal for infiltrating naval establishments or ships. Word is that they even sell berets. Do you think I should call the security services?

That's disgraceful - they even sell swords - fancy being prepared to arm terrorists like that!

:)

neppy

Badgeman
Hi in the early 60's they were on about identification, so a leading hand on the gate at Collingwood would not let the C inC in he would let the Booty driver in but not the C in C as he did not have any identification, even the capt, of collingwood who was a friend of his could not get him in, so the C in C had to go home and get his I D
The C in C had issued the order a week before this happened that no officer could enter a naval establishment with out I D

Reservist-Monkey said:

M(R)

The same time that WOs, CPOs and POs started being described in newspaper headlines as officers, ships started being referred to as boats (or "the HMS Nonsuch"), Royal Marines started being called soldiers and the RAF started flying all helos irrespective of what was displayed on their sides, i.e. when most TV networks, radio networks and newspapers, even the respectable broadsheets, stopped employing Defence correspondents who knew anything about Defence.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Lt Commander M.R.Todd - Private Memoir Submariners 10
MoD_RSS Commander Strategic Command Commendations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lebanese Army Commander ends two-day visit to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flexible Service: Lieutenant Commander Becky Everest MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary appoints small boat commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commander Strategic Command, General Sir Patrick Sanders’ Speech at the Air and Space Power Conference MoD News 0
soleil FB: Reserves Day 2020 - Commodore Melanie Robinson ADC, Commander of the Maritime Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil Tw: Commander Maritime Reserves - Royal Naval Reserves & Royal Marines Reserve Survey 2020 Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
soleil FB: The Sun's Military Awards - Best Reservist - Winner - Lieutenant Commander Tracy MacSephney Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
soleil RN Website: "New Commander Of Maritime Reserves Assumes Command" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 16
MoD_RSS Strategic Command welcome new Deputy Commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Iran: UK responds to US airstrike on military commander in Iraq MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: NATO appoints UK Officer Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Exceptional work recognised by Commander JFC MoD News 0
JamesH "Commander Speaking!" History 1
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Engineer becomes first ever UK female military three-star Commander MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commander JFC awards outstanding individuals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commander JFC commendations awarded to outstanding individuals MoD News 0
vauxhall The late Commander Keith Evans Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Commander JFC Twitter Q and A MoD News 1
soleil Telegraph: "Commander Ken Frewer, Submariner – Obituary" Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Ambassador to Lebanon meets Lebanese Armed Forces Commander MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Charterhouse - CCF Contingent Commander & Teacher of History The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
sweetpea Commander Chris Gobey. The Fleet 0
soleil Mirror: "Sub Hunting With First Female Commander Of Major Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 20
soleil Herald: "Navy Man Ian's Commendation From Fleet Commander" The Fleet 0
soleil Expr: "'Cold War Cat And Mouse Games Put Us On Red Alert,' Says Submarine Commander Submariners 21
MoD_RSS News story: New commander for Joint Forces Command MoD News 4
soleil Dorset Echo: "Royal Naval Commander Sails Into Home Port" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Telegraph: "Meet The Commander Giving The Royal Navy A Female Touch" The Fleet 65
MoD_RSS News story: First female RAF search and rescue commander MoD News 0
soleil The National: "Pirates On The Back Foot, Says UK Royal Navy Commander" Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS News story: Top Afghan commander helps prepare UK forces for deployment MoD News 0
scouse Commander Tony Shaw The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil Echo: Lieutenant Commander Ian Molyneux Posthumously Honoured At Buckingham Palace Submariners 1
soleil Wirral News: "Northern RN Commander Shown Model Of HMS Daring Made In Shed" The Fleet 2
soleil Pompey News: "Portsmouth Naval Base Commander Steps Down After Just One Year In Role" Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil ITV: "Harry Welcomed To Camp Bastion By Commander" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Guardian: "Commander: The Life And Exploits Of Britain's Greatest Frigate Commander" History 1
soleil "Famous Yachtswoman Honorary Commander Dee Caffari Inspects HMS Sultan Sailors" Bases / Shore Est 0
P Lieutenant Commander Arthur Edward Kitchener Green RNVR History 21
Ageing_Gracefully Book competition - Company Commander Competitions 12
tentoes Master and Commander documentary History 6
soleil Western Morning News: "Commander Takes Charge At HMS Raleigh" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Mirror: "Aircraft Carrier Cuts Leave Falklands Vulnerable, Says Commander Of '82 War" The Fleet 4
soleil BBC: "HMS Victory Gets 100th Commander" Bases / Shore Est 3
MoD_RSS ISAF Commander visits British troops in Afghanistan Current Affairs 0
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "The Remarkable Career Of Commander Ian Riches" Submariners 0
soleil Inverness Courier: "Naval Commander Visits Home Port Of Inverness" SCC and URNU 0
soleil Mail: Commander John Muxworthy On HMS Invincible & 1SL's Recent Briefing The Fleet 3