Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Lt Commander Busted by Sun for selling his uniform on ebay

Re: Lt Commander Busted by Sun for selling his uniform on eb

janner said:
Nutty said:
Father_Famine said:
Hi,

I had to keep everything after doing 22 but, that was beccause of reserve liability, I suppose if you were liable for reserve service and flogged your kit then were called up you could get done but, I doubt it would be that serious.

:oops:

Father

I would of got shot of my kit ASAP if I had reserve time. Then when they called me up I would get sent home cos I had no kit and some poor other Bar Steward could do my bit.

Nutty

Lets be honest here Nutty, you wouldn't get into anything Pusser has on the shelves, Tailor made and Marque come to mind :lol:

Oh I dont know pusser does a lovely set of maternity wear. !!! :lol:

Bisley said:
janner said:
Nutty said:
Father_Famine said:
Hi,

I had to keep everything after doing 22 but, that was beccause of reserve liability, I suppose if you were liable for reserve service and flogged your kit then were called up you could get done but, I doubt it would be that serious.

Father

I would of got shot of my kit ASAP if I had reserve time. Then when they called me up I would get sent home cos I had no kit and some poor other Bar Steward could do my bit.

Nutty

Lets be honest here Nutty, you wouldn't get into anything Pusser has on the shelves, Tailor made and Marque come to mind :lol:

I still don't think they could kit him out, whats the record number of births in any one pregnancy, five?, I suppose if you doubled that you would be near the size :lol:
Mind He's good to stand next to, makes you feel thin.
Its worrying that He is so quiet at the moment 8O

janner said:
Bisley said:
janner said:
Nutty said:
Father_Famine said:
Hi,

Father

Nutty

I still don't think they could kit him out, whats the record number of births in any one pregnancy, five?, I suppose if you doubled that you would be near the size :lol:
Mind He's good to stand next to, makes you feel thin.
Its worrying that He is so quiet at the moment 8O

Swine

I am still out here sitting in the sun, I had to wear my top coat five times in the past six months its a Barstard.

Quiet no I have just been upsetting the local Brits over the setting up of an Entity. A Spanish law which requires a sort of Owners Association. As always people who want RIGHTS but no RESPONSIBILITY and even their phone number is a state secret

Svelt, slim and sexy Nutty

I agree that this one is something about absolutely nothing. Officers pay for their own kit and replace it as and when required - again, out of their own pocket.

You can buy this stuff for buttons on ebay and in local surplus shops; shops which receive a lot of their supplies direct from Government stores surplus arrangements. There are loads of people selling their kit. Go into any SR's or WR Mess and the porter will give you a list of potential sellers.

Uniform does not guarantee access to military establishments.

Paul Berry is a bloody good friend of mine; I had the pleasure of working with him for two years and a more upstanding, honest and hard-working guy you could not meet. He would go a mile out of his way to look after his people so when I read rg_mcoll's uninformed, opinionated and gleeful opening comment at another person's misfortune the response I would like to post would probably result in my membership of this grand site being ended.

Fall from grace? I suspect that Paul Berry has more grace in his finger-nail than all the hacks at the Sun and the initiator of this subject put together.

Finally, I hate the sun. It pretends to be a friend of the military and makes a big deal about looking after our boys, but it never misses an opportunity to stab us in the back if it makes for a good story. They make a living out of telling the public what their opinion should be and other people's misery. What annoys me is that so many of our people continue to buy it. They've obviously perfected the RN concept of not letting the truth get in the way of a good dit. :x

Good response, I think you may have gotten the message across :wink:

I agree with you about the Sun, I rather think you get more sense out of the Dandy/ Beano, less boobs though (unless they are political ones - boom! boom!).

The answer to all the rags is simple, if everyone with any connection to the services stopped buying them they would probably fold, think about serviing and ex-servicemen, their extended families etc. It would have a hugh impact on sales and therefore advertising and revenue.

Does anybody know how much the kit went for?I saw a commanders cap make £50 just after christmas.Does anybody have one in 7 1/8?

I don't know but there is actually a fair bit of kit for sale on Ebay. There was a Captains rig which included the scrambled egg cap a few days ago.

Mind you some of the people selling clearly don't know what they are talking about, a bit like the Sun really, there was a set of uniform advertised as WW2 and then in the description stated it was made by Gieves in 1952.

Peter

SILVER_FOX said:
When I read rg_mcoll's uninformed, opinionated and gleeful opening comment at another person's misfortune the response I would like to post would probably result in my membership of this grand site being ended.

Fall from grace? I suspect that Paul Berry has more grace in his finger-nail than all the hacks at the Sun and the initiator of this subject put together.

I entirely agree. Why the hell should a random Lt Cdr getting caught selling kit legally and legitimately be a fall from grace? And why is that a good thing? RG_Mcoll is clearly a chippy tw@t who doesn't get laid enough.

Besides, I've made £150 from selling old bits of my uniform on EBay recently (all of which I'd paid for myself) so screw him, and screw the Sun.

chieftiff said:
It's amazing that a "newspaper" which spends half it's time proclaiming to support "our boys" has a readership at all. Peddling shite like this only reflects on the pratts that buy it, if you are willing to fork out to read crap, expect crap, nothing else.

Proclaiming to the world that you subscribe to their form of twisted, exploitive drivel is just stupidity beyond belief. The kits his, he doesn't need or want it anymore so he sold it on E-Bay, The Scum are going to be busy aren't they " Ex-driver sells car!!" "man with new phone sells old one!"

Bloody pathetic!

Edited to add: If you want to read some real news about the armed forces, which will probably get a small paragraph in your favourite rag follow this link, these guys deserve your attention. I don't see any Scum journalists following them!!
originally army everest link

Am I the only one that finds this spooky, or am I just being paranoid? Follow the link, they are after all the same company!

http://skynews.typepad.com/

rg_mcoll said:

I happen to know Paul Berry very well, and this has to be a load of old bollocks. 'Grasping'? Utter crap. The guy is as genuine as you can get and as professional as they come.

Please don't believe what you read, especially in the Murdoch Press.

Lever

Levers - thanks for backing up my earlier comments about Paul. I spoke to him after I read the posting's here and he said that it had been the worst weekend of his life.

The sad thing is that he had sought permission from the MOD beforehand to make sure that he wasn't breaking the rules. He wasn't and they gave their blessing - since he had effectively paid for his own kit. I believe the local Portsmouth? news gave him the opportunity to have a rebuttal atyle interview; this was arranged (I understand) by MOD Media Comms.

All this proves there was no story here to begin with and that the Sun lacks the integrity and professionalism to write genuine news stories about real issues which should be in the public eye.

Paul has now left the service. I'm still angry about their treatment of him and it didn't even impact on me.

Jenny_Dabber said:
I know when I left, I had to hand in my No1's, DMS boots, 2 pairs of 4's and my 5's.

Do officers have the same ruling on this if so, I think this my just be a bite!

Or is my logical thinking off tracks??

The only bit of kit that is required to be handed back to Naval Stores (SLOPS) on leaving the service is your AGR. All the other stuff is disposed of due to H+S regs (skin complaints ect).

Reservist-Monkey said:
Since when did a 2 1/2 become a senior officer?

M(R)

I always understood that Officers up to Lt were regarded as JOs and above were Senior Officers.

But in general terms this is Journalists getting agitated about a non-issue that they don't understand (how unusual I hear you exclaim!).

RN kit is not exactly hard to come by - I have lots of stuff still in my loft! (including the all important Beret mentined by The Sun - after all if you have a Beret you can get in anywhere!)

Even if some of it is Permanent Loan type clothing, the officer concerned may have bought additional items.

Latest Threads