Lt Cdr Dick/Dickie Barton

lanky

Lantern Swinger
I wonder if anyone would be able to help with this one?

There are a number of references on the forum (most, fairly old) to a Lt Cdr Barton, known as Dick or Dickie, who was associated with HMS Raleigh and also, I believe HMS Excellent in Portsmouth in the early 1970s.

If you knew him, I wonder if you can help with any of the following?

1 - Does anyone know what Lt Cdr Barton's full name was? I'm assuming that "Dick" was just a nickname, but I might be wrong on that one!

2 - He was described to me as being "tall and thin with a prominent nose." Does this sound like him?

3 - Does anyone know if he's still around at all? Someone said that they'd last seen him about 2006-ish.

Any help would be most welcome. :)
William Edward Barton retired 1982 from HMS Cambridge

slim

War Hero
Hah!

That said, a quick check on uk.gov's online Find A Will service means that I can now get in touch with his family and see if they can help.
I have had a few thoughts on a person who may be able to help you with your search for the truth.
On this site we have one failed LtCdr name of "Norman"
However to find him you will need to do a little research as he has more aliases than the "Scarlet Pimpernel"
Norman is the "Oracle"
He knows about everything.
In fact he once stated "You lot think I know Feck Nothing, in fact I know Feck All"
Yes Norman is your man.:)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I have had a few thoughts on a person who may be able to help you with your search for the truth.
On this site we have one failed LtCdr name of "Norman"
However to find him you will need to do a little research as he has more aliases than the "Scarlet Pimpernel"
Norman is the "Oracle"
He knows about everything.
In fact he once stated "You lot think I know Feck Nothing, in fact I know Feck All"
Yes Norman is your man.:)
You're too late, he's already supplied the information required. His new Nom de Guerre (or nom de plume if you're being charitable) is Lanky, one he has used before btw.

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
You're too late, he's already supplied the information required. His new Nom de Guerre (or nom de plume if you're being charitable) is Lanky, one he has used before btw.

And his attempted sock has been binned - exactly as he was warned previously. So Lanky he remains, until he deletes it and replaces with another call sign.

I wonder if anyone would be able to help with this one?

There are a number of references on the forum (most, fairly old) to a Lt Cdr Barton, known as Dick or Dickie, who was associated with HMS Raleigh and also, I believe HMS Excellent in Portsmouth in the early 1970s.

If you knew him, I wonder if you can help with any of the following?

1 - . .. .. I'm assuming that "Dick" was just a nickname, but I might be wrong on that one!

William Edward Barton retired 1982 from HMS Cambridge
VMT to @lanky for a genuine and informative contribution to RR at long last. BZ Norman, keep it up, please!

For @NothingLane

WRT the nickname, "dick" Barton - This almost certainly originated from the Dick Barton - Special Agent Beeb radio series way back when this was all fields:

Memorable particularly for the intro music (Devil's Galop) which often reappears whenever some producer wants a swift dramatic and catchy tune: