LSO Promotion

Discussion in 'RFA' started by wolfsbane, Aug 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good morning all,

Obviously this will be a difficult question to answer as I know I am asking the 'how long is a piece of string' question. However, I am hopeful of joining as a LSO 3/0 and was wondering how long a 'Mr Average' may realistically expect to be promoted to second officer and ultimately first officer?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There has to be a permanent vacancy. I know one 3/O LSO who has been at that rank for 14 years. He's competent, pleasant but strange. Another with a similar time in the rank lacks some officer like qualities and yet another has no utility beyond the basics.

At 2/O it can be a long wait for a vacancy at 1/O. Even with a relevant higher degree, ICSC(M), a full spectrum of appointments and the best attitude towards work and people, at least a couple of 2/Os have been at that rank for a decade.

A deck officer I know has gone from 3/O to C/O in the same time.
  3. Thank you Seadog - a very useful insight into the RFA LSO promotion system.
  4. Seadog

Just my from a distance impressions, not the bible.

There was an 'initiative' to de-enrich the branch and replace an officer with an admin rating (at Leading Hand level) to do all the no skill 'stamp selling' stuff that engineer and deck officers rip the piss out of their Purser colleagues for. I don't know how that's turned out or if it's even still running.

Whereas engineers and navigators can improve their chances of promotion with a Class 2 or Class 1 Certificate of Competency because there are statutory requirements to carry these certificated officers -and an operational requirement for a margin- there is no such scheme or requirement for LSOs.
  5. Seadog

The oldest boldest daftest RFA engineer I ever encountered was a 3/O with 37 years seniority in the rank. Bonkers.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

LHAAs are disappearing.
  7. Seadog

Have you checked their cabins, the smoking area?

More seriously Jenny, do you know the 'thinking' behind their disappearance? It occurs to me some RFA LSO functions are not officer level at all and the AA was a good idea.
  8. exJenny

No idea, just heard last trip there's not many left and they'll be gone altogether soon. I believe some are going LSO, others are leaving company.
  9. May I ask what does LHAA stand for? I know LH is leading hand.
  10. Seadog

Admin Assistant.

'Admin' is an abbreviated version of Administration.
  11. Ta, you think they're going to be replace with LHSCs?
  12. exJenny

No, because that is a different job, which was previously open to those already in the RFA who wanted to change jobs. Now they are recruiting direct from civvy street.
  13. So LHAAs and LHSC are two sides of the same coin? One deals with staff programing, payroll etc other side deals with store accounts and sorting out supplies.
  14. exJenny

Staff programming? I'm sure it would suit if we were robots. Our lives are controlled, by that I mean, we are appointed by civil servants in Portsmouth, not RFA personnel.
  15. I mean staff rotas/shift patterns.
  16. exJenny

Each department looks after their own.
  17. So what does a LHAA do?
  18. exJenny

Assists with admin...
  19. Seadog

I'm sure that there have been some pointers in this thread.

The engineer and deck officers being assigned watches and duties by a Leading Hand? The food chain goes in the other direction.
  20. The new career frameworks designate 3/O(LS) as a training billet. There don't seem to be many of them around now.

There has also been a change in the branch structure that should drastically reduce the billets for 1/Os at sea, and slightly reduce C/Os. Many seagoing 2/O billets are now filled by 1/Os.

Dickie is exceptional and should not be used as an example of anything but exceptional progress.

LH(AA) is, as ex-Jenny says, a dead branch. I believe they have all now either retired, returned to source branch, or become LSOs. Apart from one who is suing for constructive dismissal. They greatly improved customer service over that offered by a grumpy single-handed purser or a grumpy passed-over 3/O(LS) and will be missed. I believe the only billets for them were on LSD(A), though I did encounter one on an AFSH refit.

Anything the LSO couldn't be arsed with.

Customer facing front-desk role in the Ship's Office. Signing on and off and the associated paperwork, issuing subs, selling stamps and bond, handling mail, stationery, pay enquiries, liaising with Ship's Agent, much of the routine admin of the Ship's Office.