Loyal Class Fleet Tender info

Discussion in 'RFA' started by georgeaskew, May 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I am looking for info on these boats and would like to start dialogues with A: Engineers
    B. Anyone who has spent much time on them.

I am particularly interested in knowing how much they roll when drifting and at anchor in small to moderate [say 1 m] swell.
    [I need stability for film work and working over the side]

Any peculiarities with them.

If I buy one I will be needing a skeleton crew to bring her to Cape Town and need to know :
    1. The minimum crewing,
    2. How much fuel she should take on in UK?
    3. Where she should re-fuel with safety and least hassles?
    4. Where is the best place to load up fuel on deck
    5. How long would the trip take?
    6. What sort of pay would they be looking at - return air fare provided?
    7 Who is available. [Date unknown yet]

Early answers greatly appreciated.

I can be Skyped on: george-askew
    As well as replying here please E me on [email protected]

2. Boats???
  3. I know some somalians.
  4. That's over 6000 nautical miles away. Good luck dude, you'll feel like a cork in a cement mixer.
  5. I once had charge of a fleet tender, otherwise known as an Admiralty MFV (Motor Fishing Vessel) that survived a severe underwater explosion (suspect wartime ordnance) while weighing anchor after supporting diving operations off Falmouth. Everything inside was smashed up but the hull remained intact. There is no denying that they are sturdy sea boats but they roll on wet grass and are not the most comfortable craft for long passages in beam seas. However, many are now in private hands and have been modified for commercial and recreational use all over the world. I saw this one in Kefalonia a couple of years ago:

Most Loyal Class fleet tenders were operated by the RNXS (Royal Naval Auxiliary Service). This has now morphed into the all-volunteer MVS (Maritime Volunteer Service) and I suggest you contact one of its branches for technical advice. You might also post your query in this thread on the Ships Nostalgia website forum.
  6. Hi Naval-Gazer
    Thanks for this info.
    You have confirmed my worst fears.

I am not too worried about long hauls as we will only go out in False Bay 15kms along the coast then anchor all day and for about 5 weeks of the year in summer we would go out 20 - 30 kms into the ocean proper and drift all day. Some rolling out at sea is acceptable but what can I do to keep one stable in the bay?

Fit wide bilge keels or design and fit a liftable outrigger on one side?

7. I was a leading engineer on RNXS Loyal Volunteer ship number A160 for many years
    so if your still looking for information reply to this thread
    i have set up a email notification just in case you do

personally i loved them and miss them very much
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

9. Hal

Hal Midshipman

I just discovered this thread... I am hoping to learn the current status of this ship (A160 Loyal Volunteer).
    Any information of her disposition would be greatly appreciated.