Low FAT score but an Army Flying Grading pass

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Ireland151, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

In spite of my low aptitude score I have still been invited to attend AIB. My question is whether my low aptitude score will mean that the Fleet Air Arm are pretty much guaranteed not to select me (even with a very good AIB pass), particularly as they have hundreds of candidates with 130+ aptitude scores.

However, if the FAA have no intention of selecting me, why invite me to AIB (I have no other application, other than for pilot)? Additionally, do you think that my pass at Army Flying Grading will be seen as a massive "tick in the box" given that I have proven my abilitities in the air rather than at a computer desk.

Any stories of successful aircrew applicants with rubbish FAT scores would be greatly appreciated! Similarly, any other advice or comments would be appreciated too.

Thanks

2. You passed, albeit it with a "low" mark. I'm sure you'd still be in with a chance.

Good luck.

3. any other advice or comments would be appreciated too.

I don`t really think that you should have added that.

4. I don't see a problem with writing that - any comment or advice IS appreciated...even if the general opinion is that my chances are slim.

5. From what I understand of the aircrew selection process, they take into account your performance at the initial AFCO interview, your Flying Aptitude Tests and your performance during the two days at the Admiralty Interview Board. You were invited for the AIB because you passed the FATs, and its reaching that benchmark which is important.

All the FATs determine is whether you have the potential to complete flying training provided by the Royal Navy. So a better FAT score doesn't meant that you're going to be a better pilot. It simply means that you already have the abilities that need to be developed.

In conclusion, keep your spirits up. You've been invited to attend the AIB for pilot! Well done and Good Luck at HMS Sultan.

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

:thumbleft:

Sir, I admire your restraint.........

7. Silver Fox, I don't really understand. I am writing to ask for people's view/advice on my situation - I would prefer it if you weren't restrained with your comments (no matter how negative) because I would like to canvas opinion.

Thanks again

8. I think six and a half has given you the best advice you are going to get mate. Good Luck - and don't worry about things that might (not) happen, when there are plenty of bad things that are going to happen. ;)

9. silverfox

Here is some advice

You have a FAT score that is just above the cut-off point, so what - a kill is a kill. If you aspire to career in naval aviation then just go and do the AIB. Then you, and no doubt all of us, will know if you have a potential career.

Stop faffing about trying to make yourself feel better - the only way you will do that is to take the tests.

Simple enough?

10. Thanks Silver Fox, your advice has been taken on board. My AIB date is very soon so I'm currently studying for it.

Ireland

11. silverfox

and although your Army flying grading does not automatically tranfer across, it will be an indicator of ability that the Board will recognise, and the experience will come in real handy when you do the RN version.

Good Luck.