Love Letters

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by HarryBosch, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been dipping into A Collection of the Worlds Greatest Letters by Michelle Lovric. Here is a small sample of opening lines from some truly magnificent love letters.

So you thought that I did not love you for yourself! For what, then? Oh Madame, did you really think this? Could such an unworthy feeling have been conceived by such a pure spirit?
    Napoleon Bonapart to Josephine, 1796.

I tremble for what we are doing.
    Lady Mary Pierrepont, 1712.

My pen is stealing into verse every time I kiss your letter.
    John Dryden, 1653.

I have made it my honour and my religion to love you desperately.
    Marianna Alcoforado - Portugese nun seduced by the Count of St. Leger.

I love you because i live.
    Nonore-Ganriel Riquetti, 1777.

You are always new.
    John Keats, 1820.

Excuse my scrawlings .... when I am writing to a woman I love , I very often become become illegible.
    Honore de Balzac, 1833.

God in heaven! how am I to tell you that I am intoxicated with the faintest odour of you, that, had I possessed you a thousand times, you would see me still more intoxicated, because there would be hope and memory where there is as yet only hope.
    Honore de Balzac, 1834.

My longing for you is such that it presses on my breast like tears that cannot be wept.
    Franz Kafka, 1913.

You are the most beautiful girl that has ever lived, and it is worth dying to have kissed you.
    Dylan Thomas, 1945.

I met James Butler Hickock, 'Wild Bill', in 1870 near Abeline, Kansas. I heard a bunch of outlaws planning to kill him. I couldn't get to where my horse was so I crawled on my hands and knees through the brush past the outlaws for over a mile and reached the old shack where he was staying that night. I told him and he hid me back of the door while he shot it out with them. They hit him, cutting open the top of his head and then they heard him fall and lit matches to see if he was dead. Bill killed them all. I'll never forget what he looked like with blood running down his face while he used two guns. He never aimed and I guess he was never known to have missed anyone he aimed at, I mean wanted to kill, and he only shot in self defence. Then he was quite sure. I nursed him several days and then while on a trip to Abeline we met Rev. Sipes and Rev. Warren and we were married. .There will be lots of fools doubt that but I will leave you plenty of proof that we were. You were not a woods colt, Janey.
    Calamity Jane [Martha Jane Burke] to her daughter on her love for her and Wild Bill, 1880.

So:
    1. Have you ever recieved or written anything that could compare with those?
    OR
    2. Could you copy/paste and write a short reply to any of them?

2. Good collection there Harry, especially the one showing a more human side of Boney, but the one that got to me most was the one I have quoted. I can relate to that totally wrt the missus :)

3. 'tell you what love, im popping in to the avondale with lads once we secure then around closing time around to yours wth a curry,4 tins of vat and and a stonkin ard on to slip into your love hole'

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Excuse my scrawlings .... when I am writing to a woman I love , I very often become become illegible.
    Honore de Balzac, 1833.

"what the fcuk are you rambling on about....I can't understand a friggin word of it".....

Blobbs de beer 2007

5. That should do it. :thumright:

6. lol :dwarf:

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I have made it my honour and my religion to love you desperately.
    Marianna Alcoforado - Portugese nun seduced by the Count of St. Le

"Even in you penguin costume?"

8. I love you so much I can`t shit.

Higthepig 2007.

9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And I tremble when we are doing it, could you not take more of the weight on your elbows......

10. I like beans
    I like sauce
    I like sexual intercourse

11. Who said romance was dead? :hump:

12. Cause I loves yer, I f$£"s yer dont I? Chav romantic

13. Every turn of the screw brings me nearer to you, one up the bum, no harm done.

14. If only!

15. You are the most beautiful girl that has ever lived, and it is worth dying to have kissed you, because I would really love, to get inside your knickers.

16. Up the rectum, still respect em!!

17. To Nora Joyce (1909)
    My own dear Nora,
    I love you, I cannot live without you... I would like to go through life side by side with you, telling you more and more until we grew to be one being together until the hour should come for us to die.
    Even now the tears rush to my eyes and sobs choke my throat as I write this...
    O my darling be only a little kinder to me, bear with me a little even if I am inconsiderate and unmanageable and believe me we will be happy together.
    Let me love you in my own way.
    Let me have your heart always close to mine to hear every throb of my life, every sorrow, every joy.

James Joyce

To Anne Boleyn (1528)
    My Mistress and Friend,
    I and my heart put ourselves in your hands, begging you to recommend us to your good grace and not to let absence lessen your affection...
    For myself the pang of absence is already to great, and when I think of the increase of what I must needs suffer it would be well nigh intolerable but for my firm hope of your unchangeable affection...
    Henry VIII

18. Bet your gusset's nice and damp , Dondon 2007 , sorry , mmmmmmmm

Hope to christ she hasn't got FOS , aaarrhhh .

19. Not quite a love letter, but I've always been quite moved when reading this letter by William Waller to his friend Sir Ralph Hopton.

The English Civil War tore the country apart between 1642 and 1645 when the Parliament and King Charles I were in conflict. Brother was opposed to brother, men who had been friends for years found themselves fighting against one another...

The letter:

SIR WILLIAM WALLER Parliamentarian commander in the west of England, replies to a request for a personal interview from his old friend and Cavalier opponent, Sir Ralph Hopton:

To my noble friend Sir Ralph Hopton at Wells.

Sir

The experience I have had of your worth, and the happiness I have enjoyed in your friendship are wounding considerations when I look upon this present distance between us. Certainly my affections to you are so unchangeable, that hostility itself cannot violate my friendship to your person, but I must be true to the cause wherein I serve. The old limitation 'usque ad aras' holds still, and where my conscience is interested, all other obligations are swallowed up.
    [usque ad aras' means 'even to the altar' ie 'for ever].

I should gladly wait on you according to your desire but that I look upon you as you are engaged in that party, beyond a possibility of retreat and consequently uncapable of being wrought upon by any persuasion. And I know the conference could never be so close between us, but that it would take wind and receive a construction to my dishonour.

That great God, which is the searcher of my heart, knows with what a sad sense I go upon this service, and with what a perfect hatred I detest this war without any enemy, but I look upon it as Opus Domini, which is enough to silence all passion in me. The God of peace in his good time send us peace, and in the mean time fit us to receive it. We are both upon the stage and must act those parts assigned to us in this tragedy. Let us do it in a way of honour, and without personal animosities, whatsoever the issue be, I shall never willingly relinquish the dear title of

Your most affectionate friend and faithful servant,

William Waller.

They don't write em like that anymore...

20. Fairest Jane,

What are you up to tomorrow? I would very much like to take you out for lunch on the banks of the Thames. I will have some VERY good news concerning Anne. If you can make it, nail a post-it to my servant's head.

You lovable rogue,

Henry (18 May 1536).