Lounge suit

Is this the military equivalent of Nos 1s? I have been invited to a dinner where I have nominated a CFAV for an award and the dress code is lounge suit. Other wise it's a suit with medals. Happy to wear Nos1 if necessary? Answers on a postcard...

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

My understanding of a lounge suit would be a tuxedo style suit with bow tie.

However I once went to a Shell event where the dress code was supposed to be evening suit for men and ball gowns for ladies. I turned up in the penguin suit and was the only one. Felt like a bloody waiter.

Lounge suit, as far as I'm aware, is just a normal suit and tie job, not sure what they class as an evening suit. Black tie is Dinner jacket rig as i had to dig mine out a couple of months ago for a black tie event, which I was asked why I wasn't wearing my medals and dolphins, I said I don't have miniatures and if I did I wasn't going to make holes in an expensive dinner jacket :).

I would say No 1's would be the equivalent of a lounge suit and mess undress the equivalent of the dinner jacket.

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Correct. Just a plain (generally blue or black) suit, single or double breasted as you see fit. Probably save the one you use for playing pool or that shiny green one that you had knocked up in Vietnam that seemed like a good idea at the time, for later.

Seadog

War Hero
Dark blue suit, negative medals.

..,I said I don't have miniatures and if I did I wasn't going to make holes in an expensive dinner jacket
Get beckets attached, professionally. Or use a mounting plate that slots in the breast pocket with medals outside. You don’t need the dolphins any more than you need a cutlass.

Seadog

War Hero
They are but I’ve never seen Derek Hatton, a banker or a celebrity antique dealer wearing naval uniform or that of an airline pilot.

This thread is about civvy suits.

Is this the military equivalent of Nos 1s? I have been invited to a dinner where I have nominated a CFAV for an award and the dress code is lounge suit. Other wise it's a suit with medals. Happy to wear Nos1 if necessary? Answers on a postcard...
Lounge suit means what it says - two piece (i.e. no waistcoats). Grey if in London, brown out of town. Sober tie, black shoes.
Dinner jacket only if invite requires "Black Tie" (@MCC is the place for me - Tuxedo is an American expression, consider yourself smited with the sword of a thousand smites)

Uniform would be inappropriate if the invite asks for civilian attire.

Dark blue suit, negative medals.

Get beckets attached, professionally. Or use a mounting plate that slots in the breast pocket with medals outside. You don’t need the dolphins any more than you need a cutlass.
Dolphins are an award so they stay, they're the only bit of bling I have that I can say I genuinely earned, although the LS&GC and clasp come a close second :)

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Lounge suit means what it says - two piece (i.e. no waistcoats). Grey if in London, brown out of town. Sober tie, black shoes.
Dinner jacket only if invite requires "Black Tie" (@MCC is the place for me - Tuxedo is an American expression, consider yourself smited with the sword of a thousand smites)

Uniform would be inappropriate if the invite asks for civilian attire.
Is that the cutlass of a thousand cuts. ?