Lottery money should come flooding in

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Jul 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has the lottery, supporter of many and varied causes been approached to give some funding to help support those who have been affected by the floods?
    After all it loves to give money to ethnic minorities, gays and lesbians, and illegal immigrant groups. surely all these groups will be found within the ranks of those affected. Lets see the lottery hand out a few millions. And for those who say we should not help those who are not insured, well they may not have taken insurance out, but I bet they spend more than most people on their lottery tickets :thumright:
  2. No spare cash because it is all designated for the bloody olympics which is far more important.

3. Head in Hands , fxxxxxxxxxxg despair at this country sometimes , your right though "SILVER_FOX" , bloody olympics , :pukel: :pukel:
  4. It's a matter of managing priorities. Something those idiots in charge don't seem to know a lot about. I echo someone else's comment on an earlier posting - the French must be laughing their socks off because we "won" the right to host it.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do the critics among you actually buy a lottery ticket in in order to give money to charity, or for selfish greed, in the hope you're going to win millions of pounds? I think I know the answer...

6. It's only a bit of water.......

7. I have bought less than a dozen tickets since the lottery inception. my best ticket was one where I actually had guessed just one number. So I don't buy them. However the pones that I did buy where bought for possible gain. :thumright:
  8. sgtpepperband

By definition anyone who has bought a lottery ticket loses any responsibility or accountability over how the revenue is distributed. And those who do not buy a ticket also have no say in how it is spent. That's whay it's called a 'lottery'.

Futhermore does anyone have any evidence that lottery money HAS NOT been given to people affected by the flooding?!
  9. Don't know Sgtp however if you wish to do a trawl, this may help:

However if I were a gambling man I would put my cash on No money yet from the lottery fund.
  10. sgtpepperband

Already checked that link; specific geographic analysis as follows:

National Lottery grant search - country/region summary

National Lottery grant search - local authority summary

National Lottery grant search - constituency summary

National Lottery grant search - total grants awarded

Although the data is not specfic, there is not indication that the National Lottery distributors favours "ethnic minorities, gays and lesbians, and illegal immigrant groups" [Slim's description] over other recipients, although I acknowledge than some of the aforementioned groups have benefited from lottery grants; however so have many other organisations, regardless of their ethnic background or sexual persuasion.

I feel that the so-called "ethnic minorities, gays and lesbians, and illegal immigrant groups" receiving lottery grants is nothing more than media propaganda or speculation, designed to agitate the feeling of harmony. However that is another subject that has been discussed on another thread.

Notwithstanding that, if I buy a ticket (and I do, when the desire takes me) I am not concerned what happens to my money. If I win ten quid or the jackpot I am happy; if I don't win, then 'shit happens'. I get over it and worry about more important things.

11. Just a little light reading SgtP
    Now pay particular attention to the REASONS given by the lottery fund panel and then tell me that they are not acting in a positively discriminating way.

Of course ther is a lot more of the same all I did was put into the search engine the words "lottery funding refused because" no mention of race, assylum sekers or gays.
  12. icsurreyonline.icnetwo..._page.html

Although I`m retired i think me and my mates could knock up a Scout Hut for half of of that, and go on the piss for months on the profit. :w00t:

13. I'll come and help you with the piss ups Higs. I was however trying to draw attention to the reasons for the refusal. Perhaps if we get Snowball & Snowflake involved with the piss up we may get the scouts some funds :thumright:
  14. Snowball would be a winner, is it cos he`s black?
  15. Couple of good guys both of them, colour didn't seem to come into ti in the old days. :thumright:
  16. sgtpepperband

Apologies for the delay, but I was actually reading the links kindly provided by Slim!

Ref. 1: "Surrey Online" - the same county that does not want to build a house to allow famillies of patients at Hedley Court to be built? According to the 2001 Census over 85% of the population was White British; hardly the 'rivers of blood' predicted by Powell and his ilk! The figures for Surrey are as follows [source]:

White 1,006,089 95.0%
    Black 5,625 0.5%
    Indian 10,640 1.0%
    Pakistani 6,265 0.6%
    Mixed 12,709 1.2%
    Other 17,687 1.7%

Christian 789,609 74.6%
    Muslim 14,190 1.3%
    Other 19,297 1.8%
    No religion 161,074 15.2%
    Religion not stated 74,845 7.1%

UK 946,400 89.4%
    EU 36,416 3.4%
    Elsewhere 76,199 7.2%

Ref 2: "The England Project" - a private online enterprise, underwritten and supported by member of the BNP, supporting British Nationalism. Members of this website are added to "The Witanagemot Club" another organisation linked to The Cross of St. George (See also Ref. 5.)

Ref 3: The Times" - another broadsheet that dictates to the right-of-centre NIMBYs (like the ones in Surrey!) about the decay of this 'great nation' (pun intended), by promoting immigration and race issues; not the qualities British people want to be proud of?

Ref 4: "" - Article published 5 years ago, and written by two journalists (ex of The New Statesman, now of The Observer), both of whom have been accused of Islamophobia by critics. In the case highlighted, the funds were eventually granted to the organisation concerned. The website itself is very informative and impartial on many black issues, and is not anti-white racism.

Ref 5: "The BNP" - enough said. Not an organisation one would accuse of being fair and impartial, but only interested in stirring up racial hatred for it's own twisted agenda, regardless of the consequences. Read the other pieces on the link to see tht they will turn any story into a racial issue.

Ref. 6: "LAncashire Evening Post" - a regional newspaper reporting a story of interest to those in it's catchment area. If you read the story concerned, it states:

I am not a The Lottery Commision apologist, but I accept that the Lottery Fund is not an endless pot of money; some groups dip in and some dip out. The so-called 'ethnic' ones that dip in and the so-called 'English' ones (i.e. white) who dip out are the obviously the ones that the media will highlight and report on, for sensationalist reasons. Drama sells, mundane doesn't.

If you ask the Lottery Commission I am sure they will not admit to disciminating against an organisation because of their race, creed or colour. However the ones that do not get any money will use any paranoid excuse they can think of to promote their cause, and the possibility of finding alternative contributions from other, more sympathetic donors.
  17. The point that I was making SgtP was not that of whether these groups were black, white or green. I was pointing out the reason supplied by the fund organizers for refusal. In most cases it was because of the ethnic mix. Now I have yet to see a non white group refused funding for this reason.
    Racial equality is a two sided thing, however how many white people have invoked this act?
    When I first moved to Wokingham my kids were Karate Shotokan brown & white belts (next step black). We tried to find a dojo for them locally, my preferred one was in Reading, however it was made painfully obvious at the time that we were the wrong shade. Racist, possibly, proving it would have been another matter.
  18. sgtpepperband

But the Lottery is not a free handout benefit service; not everyone can have the money! I will concede that some questional donations have been made by the Lottery Commission, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Much like buying a ticket; if you win a prize, then well done and fair play. If you don't then 'oh dear, what a shame' and move on. If an application for funds is refused, than accept the decision, because the money was not yours to have in the first place.
  19. Getting back to your earlier point SPB (Do the critics among you actually buy a lottery ticket in in order to give money to charity, or for selfish greed, in the hope you're going to win millions of pounds? I think I know the answer...): Yes I regularly buy tickets and not I am not happy. Not happy because I haven't won the big one and not happy because I believe the lottery is not being utilised for what it was intended. Those who run it should not be influenced by HM Govt. They should be able to allocate as they see fit and not on things which the Govt decides are appropriate.