Lose 20 seconds off running time

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by diverchris, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have got less than two months to lose 20 second of my pjft run time so i can get put forward for my PEDA. I need to get the time down to 10 minutes.

Is this possible and any tips apart from the obvious, do loads of running.
    Cheers all
  2. Probably useful to describe your current training routine. Maybe one of the fitness gurus will be able to offer some advice.

3. Apologies, that probably would help.
    My current training is as follows:

I have only been running for the past two months from scratch as i hate running and lack the motivation to do it. I understand if i want to become a clearance diver i wll have to overcome this

Tue, 3 mile run on treadmill at gym after work

Thurs 3 mile run on treadmill after work

Sun 1.5 mile at best time

I would say this isnt the best training in comparison to others on here, and some weeks due to shift work im unable to stick to this.
    Other week days are down the gym working on body strength, dips, chin ups, etc.
  4. you can lose 20 seconds in a week, just push yourself that bit harder, 1.5 mile every day, it takes 30 mins total including a shower afterwards.
  5. I think the best way to improve a time is interval training - on one of the 3 milers, after about 10 minutes getting into the rhythm, push you self running at max for 30 seconds, then rest for a minute - repeat this 5 times. Week 2 increase the max to 45 seconds and rest a minute. Increase the interval times each week.
  6. Cheers for the replys. Gonna try the interval training tomorrow and see how I get on. Eitherwat I'll def have to put more effort in if I want is this job. :thumright:
  7. You are not running enough - simple as that.

Try this:

Day 1 - 3 miles at 7.5 min/mile pace
    Day 2 - find a good hill that's at least 400m long - and do 2 x warm-up, 2 x medium pace, 2 x firm pace, 1 x hard as you can go, 2 x medium, 2 x very gentle warm down. Gentle jog down the hill in between each rep.

repeat, and do one long run each week - say 6 - 8 miles, and take one day off.

I can do this routine when I'm training for 10K (6.25 miles), except I'm doing 5 miles instead of 3. I'm 50 next birthday :whew:
  8. So basically fit but completely insane!

9. I've been like that for a long time. While waiting for AIB/BRNC start I was working in Eastner on the restoration of the beam engines, and I biked (push-bike) to/from work.

Except it was 12 miles each way, over Portsdown Hill. Used to take me 45 minutes.
  10. If you are training on a treadmill try this:

Your Tuesday session 2.4 km downhill then 2.4 uphill. Running downhill increases your stride ratio (more steps a minute) and you should be able to go faster than your usual pace and running uphill increases your stride length (longer steps) but you might need to drop the pace down slightly.

Thursday session start 1 km/hr slower than your usual pace, go for 1 min, then increase by 0.5km/hr every minute until you are 1.5 or 2km/hr faster than your normal pace, once you get to max for 1 min drop back to 1 kn/hr less than normal pace. This will take 6 or 7 mins, try and repeat 4 times. Cover up the distance counter on the treadmill with your gym towel or IPOD and just concentrate on the time. I.e.

Normal pace 10km/hr
    9km/hr 1 min
    9.5km/hr 1 min
    10km/hr 1 min
    10.5km/hr 1 min
    11km/hr 1 min
    11.5km/hr 1 min
    12km/hr 1 min

Repeat 4 times!!

Good luck
  11. Short of hiring yourself a personal RM PTI Sgt... I found that training to failure, after completing a run, was most effective for me. We'd do a fairly hefty warm up, then run the 2.4km and then do interval training at 75%+ sprint pace (100m sprint, walk back, sprint again etc). As this was with an RM PTI Sgt (as part of remedials), the 'failure' part of 'training to failure' wasn't really an option. After the shower, the death feeling subsided.

Dare I say it... but, failing my RNFT was the best thing I ever did. Before taking it, I had been doing a combination of runs, other CV work in the gym and a bit of strength training. I clocked a time about ten seconds outside the allowed. After a few weeks of said remedials I'd managed to knock the best part of two minutes off my time and get my time to sub-ten minutes.
  12. Never run on a treadmill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats outta the way, I will tell you how to lose 20 secs of your running time in one single run. Instead of doing your mile and a half run at a pace your body is ok at running, or is pushing abit hard to run... completely beast yourself the whole way round, at no point should a mile and a half run be close to comfortable. If you actually do this you will end up losing maybe over a minute off your time. (Also, the more you do this your body will get used to running it in that quicker time and it will be able to do it in that time without beasting yourself, but thats when you beast it even more!!! :D)

By the way, dont run on a treadmill unless there is no other way you can go for a run outside.
  13. I have mentioned this before.

Fartlek training is the best training you can do for stamina and speed training.

Pick out a point on the distance over a set route. After warming up for a mile or so at a steady pace. Sprint over a distance you feel comfortable with then return to your normal pace use this as your recovery period when fully recovered spring again you can use your watch and time your sprint/fast pace sessions or use features lamp posts etc. After a while increase your sprint distances. You will soon realise your fitness levels increasing by your recovery time period.

Fartlek is ideal for competition work if you are running alongside others you can increase your pace then return to normal pace later leaving the backmarkers behind.

Listen to your body going for the burn to quote a few dimwits is silly and stupid. An injury can put you back a few months.
  14. Huge difference between running on a treadmill and running outside.

Treadmill is great to help get you fitter but bouncing up and down on a moving rubber mat won't help you on your 1.5er when you have drive yourself over the ground.

Keep your treadmill work up, as it will improve your fitness but add in at least two 2-3 mile runs outside.

As someone said, you are not running enough. Train hard - fight easy or something like that.
  15. "Never run on a treadmill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Why? I do most of my training through the winter on a treadmill and run around 8mins for a mile and a half. Just set it 1 or 2 % incline to compensate and not only does it provide a good workout but also puts lets stress on the joints, than for example running on concrete does. Its also good for training yourself to run at a particular pace and is a handy way of simulating hill running - many of today's models can incline to 12% and more. I'm not suggesting you should never run outdoors but there is certainly nothing wrong with treadmill training.

If your goal is to run one and a half miles in 10mins then simply work your way up to this over a couple of weeks. 20 seconds to lose off 2.4kms should be easily achieveable.

To increase your running fitness try mixing up your runs - pace, distance, time, etc. As an example:

Monday: 30mins at a fast pace (around 90% max heart rate)
    Wednesday: 45mins at a steady pace (around 80% max heart rate)
    Friday: 1hr at a slightly slower pace than Wednesday's run

In addition get to the gym a couple of times a week and work on circuit training with weights and bodyweight exercises - press ups, pull ups, sit ups and dips.
  16. Treadmills are good to get your heart going and getting a bit of exercise to tick over if you cant get out for a good run, but I would highly recommened against using them to actually get fit on. Just isnt the same, and when it comes up to doing your 2.4k timed run for real, you will be going "God the wind is slowing me down and the ground isnt zooming behind me to keep me going, I'm not used to all these struggles!"