Lord Levy arrested AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by andym, Jan 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like its about to get interesting.

Honours police arrest Lord Levy

Lord Levy is the Labour Party's chief fundraiser
    Labour's chief fundraiser Lord Levy has been re-arrested by police looking into cash-for-honours allegations.
    He was held on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and was later bailed.

Lord Levy, a close ally of Tony Blair, was arrested last year in connection with allegations that honours were sold in exchange for party donations.

A spokesman said that Lord Levy "completely denies any allegations of wrongdoing whatsoever".

The Metropolitan Police team investigating the allegations has so far spoken to about 90 people including Tony Blair and former Conservative leader Michael Howard.

All involved deny any wrongdoing.

Four people have been arrested - Lord Levy, Downing Street adviser Ruth Turner, Labour donor Sir Christopher Evans and head teacher Des Smith, who was involved in the government's City Academy programme. No one has been charged.

Lord Levy was first arrested last July, in connection with alleged offences under the Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925 and Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.

Nearly two weeks ago Downing Street political adviser Ruth Turner was also arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. She has denied any wrongdoing and has the backing of Mr Blair.

The inquiry began after it emerged that a number of large secret loans had been made to the Labour Party before the 2005 general election, and that some of those lenders had subsequently been nominated for peerages.

The investigation has since widened to cover the other main parties.

Scotland Yard is due to hand over a file on the case in January to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will decide whether any charges should be brought.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6314881.stm

2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

fingers crossed levy will drag Blair down with him - as he's threatened to do!!

3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

4. LOL!

5. :evil: :twisted: New Labour is moraly bankrupt sooner they've gone the better

6. And who is head of the judiciary? That Fat Fcuk Charlie Falkner, Bliars old flat mate................
    But oh, I do so hope that B'stard Bliar and all of his "Old Corruptibles" go down. :evil:
    RoofRat

7. This is going nowhere fast, and is in fact a big waste of public money.

Blair ain't going down, as much as you all may want him to. Better to save your frustration until the next election time and vote them out (if of course, you can find some one better to vote in).

8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

your right, just lends strenght to the old adim, "whats the point of of a postion of power unless you can abuse it"

but some really take the piss

9. dondon wrote: New Labour is moraly bankrupt sooner they've gone the better.

They're financially bankrupt too. Read somewhere this week that the party is £40m in debt due to the whole loans business. Incredible that we would actually allow a bunch of people who can't manage their own funds to run our country and look after our finances too.

Obviously the reason why we're in the bloody awful situation we're in now.

SF

10. Oh please god yes, but no doubt the slimy git will worm/spin its way out of it.

11. Before they came to power we were the envey of the world for our Pension Funds , now Gordons robbed them of Billions every year there now shite , hope they are proud bxxxxxxs , scum the lot of them , that little pipsqueak Ian McCartney is one fxxxxxxxr I could slap , greasy head shit , ah well end of rant , :evil: :twisted:

12. You sound very angry dondon, take my advice, see a psyco.

13. Don't need a psyco "Dabs" , just a little rant now & again ,

14. Know what you mean ship mate, came from the same school. Best of luck with the treatment matey.

15. I think that the conservatives introduced the Tax on pension funds. However Brown could and should have repealed it

16. Nope it was one of Gordons 'windfall' taxes, supposededly victimless, and I suspect that as Gordon and his chums don't depend on conventional paid for and earned pensions it is OK in his view.

17. I would not object to the tax on pensions funds if the government used some of it to compensate those pensioners who having paid into a pension will now get nothing due to company theft and incompetence.
    After all they were all following government advice.

18. The attack on company pension schemes was started by the ciservative chancellor Norman Lamont. Labour should have rectified this but did not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml;$sessionid$HTLYPJXAKF5T3QFIQMGSFFWAVCBQWIV0?xml=/money/2003/01/13/ccminf13.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2003/05/04/ixcolumnists.html

19. What a waste of public money and I will wager nowt will come of it and all this anti Labour bile. Give me them any day in preference to that lacklustre Tory rabble, there seem to be some very short and selective memories where certain members are concerned regarding the Tories past record. :smile:

20. The specific thing was that Browny did away with the benefit asit applied to pension funds specifically, rather than Lamontables tampering with the rate, and Browny suggested it was a victimless crime and put the pension funds on the same pedestal as the oil companies labelling them as rapatious b*st*rds, slightly different approach.